View Single Post
Old 01-05-2015, 11:33 PM   #21
PilotMan
Head Coach

It was still raining in Vancouver when I left this morning. There wasn't anything to look at. Even though the layover wasn't that long the bed was nice and I got a good night's sleep.

Our schedules aren't always nice and smooth going from one plane to another with no breaks. In less productive months like January we can have breaks. Today's break was 4 minutes shy of 4 hours. We call them productivity breaks or airport appreciation time. You could also call it not getting paid.

If there's one thing I'm good at thought, it's killing time. Only child, single working mom, latchkey. Oh yeah. I can kill some time. Today wasn't even that hard. I dropped my bags off in ops and did 2.5 miles around the terminal. In a suit. Lol. You can't really speed walk in a suit. But sitting as much as I do you gotta get up and move when you can. Throw in some lunch and laptop time and it was over that fast.

Denver always has the potential for shitty rides going over the mountains and today was one of the worst I've ever seen. In fact, the turbulence we had on climb out on the way to Orange County was the worst I've seen in years.

I do have one kinda cool photo from today.

That's snow in the Grand Canyon. That's just not something you see every day.

I think I can see the end of this trip on the horizon. I'm on day 4 today and I'm really ready to be done, but I've got 2 more flights. After having 3 of 4 layovers on the West coast I've more or less acclimated to Pacific time. This will probably work out in my favor, at least for this trip. You see, tonight's overnight has to set me up for tomorrow.

Let me explain. Tomorrow morning I do one leg to San Francisco. Then go to the hotel for 12 hours and then leave the hotel tomorrow night to fly an all night red-eye back to Newark. So after working mornings and afternoons, tomorrow I have to try and sleep during the day so I can be up all night.

It's taken me some time but I think I've got a system that works reasonably well for me. Basically I need to be able to get a good workout in, a good meal and be tired enough to just go to bed by 3 in the afternoon. If I can get 5 hours of sleep tomorrow afternoon I can be rested enough for my night flight.

It's not the ideal schedule, but it get's me back home the same day (called being able to commute on the back end.) I'll do just about anything to get home on the back end.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

Last edited by PilotMan : 01-05-2015 at 11:36 PM.
PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote