View Single Post
Old 01-08-2015, 08:37 AM   #33
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
If I'm lucky now, I should make it home by 115p this afternoon. Almost 6 hours after I finished work added on to my 6 days of work. Hurry up already!

So I got home at 2p yesterday. That's 7.5 hours after I was done working. That is what they call the cost of commuting. That time where you aren't getting paid and you aren't home where you should be. Add that to the 16 hours early that I had to leave for work on the front and and you get 23.5. My 6 day trip that I just finished cost me 7 days.

This job isn't like your normal 8-5 job. I don't work M-F. I don't get holidays. I get larger chunks of time off than most people, but the cost of a job where you travel a lot does take it's toll. I know that some of you understand that. Any job where you are gone a lot has it's own price. The price on your home life. It takes a special kind of woman to be able to deal with this sort of life. Many of them who can't move on and find other men where they don't have to deal with it. Many women can't handle the idea of their man being out there on his own for so long and so unaccountable. Jealousy and trust play right into all that and can disintegrate a healthy relationship.

Thankfully, I've been married for 14 years to a woman who has been with me for my entire career. We met before my flying days, when I was a fresh faced restaurant manager just out of college and she was a hostess in my store. Yeah, that kind of thing was frowned upon at the time. Yes, it caused problems that we were prepared for. She has been a stay at home mom to our kids. And while that cost us financially it has paid it's rewards in our home life, our kids lives, and our life together. I'm not sure we could have done it with her trying to balance a career on top of it.

Today we are going to the doctor for a pre-surgical appointment and tomorrow she is going in for what will be a 5 to 6 hour surgery to repair some damage and prevent long term complications from the number of pregnancies that she has had. She will be recovering for a couple of weeks and in this time I will have to do my best to do everything else that she does, plus the normal dad and family stuff. Oh and if we are FB friends please refrain from commenting on this there as we aren't discussing it there.

My next trip out isn't for over a week and a half. I have to make sure that she is doing alright before I leave again. So no awesome trip pics for a while. I'll still update the normal stuff here though and I still have to bid my schedule for February so I'll go over that process as well.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

Last edited by PilotMan : 01-08-2015 at 08:44 AM.
PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote