View Single Post
Old 01-27-2015, 05:42 AM   #49
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Was on a flight last night from Chicago to Orlando (737). It was flurrying in Chicago when we were boarding the plane, and I noticed the weather forecast had changed to a threat of icing on the roads (less than an inch). I guess because of this, they decided to de-ice the plane. It took an interminable amount of time (actually delayed us for about 45 minutes, but I have to admit, I'd rather do that that take chances). Anyway, I noticed that some of the material they were spraying on the plane was orange tinted and then it seemed like the wings chemicals looked green. Any idea why?

Also, by the time we were making our way to the runway, the weather turned and it was a definite steady snow. When we got on the runway, you could tell the pilot hit the brake and absolutely gunned the engines (much more so than a typical takeoff) and only then released the brakes. We took off VERY quickly (I actually time this - it takes about 35 secs for a normal take off, this felt like we were in the air in 20) - I assume they did this to compensate for any ice accumulation that may have occurred. It's been a while since I've flown in inclement weather - is this part of the standard operating procedure for a 737?

I must admit, once we were in the air, it seemed like a long time before we got above the snow and my thoughts were purely on the amount of snow and ice that were perhaps forming on the wings. It seemed like they wasted no time in trying to get above the weather, too - no cutting back on the throttle noticed at all.
how do you know?

CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote