View Single Post
Old 10-12-2021, 04:03 PM   #1384
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

Centre College vs Berry College - RESULTS

Centre - 115
Berry - 157

The men's team looked especially good over the weekend, despite the fact the coach had, IMO, several swimmers in the wrong events. To give you an idea of how good the team looked, last year in the dual meet up at Centre, Berry lost 111 - 161, this time they won 157 - 115 (and that's with their 200 Free relay being DQed). Had they not been DQed the score would have been 164 - 108.

Bear - is really struggling with his shoulder/lat injury he dealt with over the last couple of years of high school. I believe it was aggravated by ramping up too quickly. He's getting treatment from the trainers on a regular basis, and he's supposed to start some band work to isolate and strengthen the opposing shoulder muscles to try and balance out the joint. Hopefully, that works, it's awfully early to be dealing with this kind of thing.

200 Free - Bear improved on his time from the intra-squad meet posting a 1:49.97, an improvement of over a full second. He finished second to Ross in the heat, beating a very good Centre swimmer Henry Lang, and teammate Alex Bartik, who's very solid.

500 Free - In this event Bear improved dramatically over his swim in the scrimmage. He posted a 5:07.31, which was about a 20 second drop in time. Plus he admitted to backing off a bit at the end of the race when his place was assured. He finished second to teammate Ethan Whiting, who looks extremely strong early in the season. If Bear can't get his shoulder right, I don't expect him to be able to challenge Ethan at conference finals.

200 Free Relay - This was an extremely exciting relay...Ross led off and and at the start of the second leg, the race was dead even. Billy Blood took the second leg, and when he handed off to Bear it was still dead even. I was a bit concerned, because Bear is more of a distance swimmer, and I didn't want him to get beat bad in his split, but as it turns out it was the exact opposite. Bear opened a little more than a half body length lead, before he handed off to Hunter, who took that advantage and added to it. Unfortunately, the team was DQed, no reason was given in the results, but it was almost certainly someone leaving early. Bear admitted he was close to a DQ, as was Billy from my naked eye perspective from the stands. I'm disappointed that it happened, because if Bear did leave early it only helped him by about .3 seconds at the most, so he still would have provided a nice lead for the team in his leg, with a legal or even significantly more conservative start. Plus I was eager to see what his split was in the race, but with the dq, times aren't posted. As it turns out, the splits weren't posted anyway so I still wouldn't know.

Last edited by Breeze : 10-26-2021 at 10:37 AM.
Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote