View Single Post
Old 09-20-2022, 07:47 AM   #1472
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

2022-23 Berry Vikings Swim Schedule - Review

The schedule was released about a month ago, but when it was released there was an indication that the new coach was attempting to add some meets to the schedule. If she was successful in doing so, no announcement has been made. As you can see, the schedule this year is significantly smaller than the one last year. I'm sure that is a direct result from the coaching turnover. In some ways it's disappointing, given this is Bear's final season and we'll only have 7 or so meets to watch him swim (and a couple that are far enough away that watching him will be an online experience). In other ways, it's probably good. Last year's schedule was way too involved. Having meets every weekend impacts your ability to train. It's the same reason that year round teams swim in meets only about once a month. In addition, given Bear's shoulder issues, less racing might be beneficial.

Here are my thoughts around the actual meets:

Intrasqad meet - always a fun one for the kids. In the past, recent graduates would return to field a 3rd team for this meet, but it doesn't look like that's on the agenda this year, which is unfortunate. I know that Bear's group still sees Dylan White regularly, and I believe Michael Bemis was planning to return, which would have been a fun reunion for the guys.

Montevallo & Emmanual - both of these schools are D2, and thus can provide athletic scholarships. The talent level here is much higher than Berry, so the Vikings won't be close in the scoring. The only good aspect is, the team will get to swim against some fast opponents.

Centre College - conference opponent, who's improved dramatically over the last couple of seasons (driven by the promise of a new multi-million dollar facility I'm sure). This one should be fun, too bad it's so far away.

Sewanee - another conference foe - another one pretty far away. This is an improving team, but Berry should still be a good bit better.

SCAD Invite - Bear isn't really a fan of this meet. It's so dominated by Emory's B team that it takes a good bit of the fun out of it.

Viking Invite - not sure who's invited this time around. Could be a totally new group of schools with the new coach. Will be interested to see.

Birmingham Southern - the annual conference match up at the end of the season, right before conference. It's a good measuring stick against what's consistently been the best team in the conference.

Conference Championship - This is going to be fun with several teams bringing their best roster in years to the event.

Last edited by Breeze : 09-20-2022 at 07:51 AM.
Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote