Old 11-11-2022, 09:03 AM   #1483
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

Berry College and Asbury College vs Centre College - RESULTS

Centre - 179
Berry - 118

Asbury - 81
Berry - 191

This meet was striking in how much better the Centre swimmers seemed to finish races verses the Berry swimmers. In fact, it was so startling I'd venture to guess that Centre elected to drop taper for this meet. An odd choice but given the timing, it could work. Drop taper now, ramp up for a December invite, then get to winter training and start over to prep for conference.

I'd say it'd be fun to see how this plays out at conference, but with the significant number of men leaving the Berry team, I'm not sure we'll get to see it play out in the water.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bear - continues to struggle, and there are, by my estimation 3 potential issues:

- Stamina - took the entire summer off to see if he could get his shoulder to heal. Unfortunately, it didn't seem to help the shoulder at all, and now he's got to get back into shape. I'm not sure he'll accomplish it at all, but almost certainly not before winter training ends.

- Pain - the shoulder is still a problem, and the continued wear and tear may finally have caught up to him.

- Technique - because he took the entire summer off, Bear is struggling to find his form. He admitted everything feels wrong and he's having a hard time trying to dial it back in.

Taking the time off was a risk, probably one that was worth taking, but it's looking like the gamble isn't going to pay off.

Another item to keep in mind. Centre currently has a small 6 lane pool, so there was no warm up or down, which is a problem for Bear. He needs extra time to get his shoulder warmed up. Also, they had the pool extremely cold, which is odd, most competition pools are kept between 77 and 82 degrees. Centre's pool was 72 (thermometer was in the pool). This made it very difficult to warm up - and in fact, it was so cold most swimmers didn't even want to get in the water to warm up during the short periods that warm up times were offered.

200 Free - Swam a 1:54. Opened with a 54, which isn't terrible, but coming home in over 60 seconds isn't good.

200 Fly - quick turn around from the 200 free, and Bear only managed to go 2:15. Fatigue was clearly an issue here.

100 Free - posted 53.50, around 2 seconds off where he probably wants to be, but it was another pretty quick turn around so fatigue is again a factor.

400 Free Relay - B Team - here Bear swam pretty well for in season. he posted a 50.90, the second fastest time on the B relay, only .5 behind Ross. This swim was much later in the meet, so Bear was able to adequately recover. Hopefully, this is a sign that with adequate recovery time he can still swim fast.

Last edited by Breeze : 11-11-2022 at 09:06 AM.
Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote