View Single Post
Old 01-27-2023, 10:10 AM   #1496
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

General Update

An interesting situation has come to light. Apparently, Birmingham Southern is on the verge of bankruptcy. In fact, they could be shutting their doors at the end of the semester.

“Birmingham-Southern has been operating in financial distress for over a decade. Without support, it will not be able to continue to operate after May 2023.”

The school is apparently seeking $30 million in state funding for the private college - $12.5 million from funds provided by the American Rescue Plan Act and $17.5 million from the Education Trust Fund. In addition, they have also petitioned the city of Birmingham for $5 million and $2.5 million from Jefferson County.

Unfortunately, it looks like the City and County have rejected the schools request.

Obviously, this has wide ranging ramifications, but given this journal is about swimming I thought I'd point out a few interesting tidbits.

- As I'm sure you've gathered from the last few years BSC has been the dominating swim team in conference forever. Them shutting down would dramatically shake things up

- BSC, historically, is the largest team in the conference, so there will be quite a few swimmers looking for new teams

- One problem the potentially disassociated BSC swimmers could run into is cost - BSC is by far the least expensive college in the SAA conference.

If BSC does shut their doors, it will be interesting to follow the impact on all the SAA sports. I'd assume a considerable amount of the relocations would be inside the conference, as most of the schools are close geographically and skill wise the athletes have already proven they can compete at this level.

Bear won't be around to see the impact, but I'll casually keep an eye on it, as this is an unusual circumstance that for me is worth watching.

Last edited by Breeze : 01-27-2023 at 10:12 AM.
Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote