Thread: Witcher
View Single Post
Old 11-17-2007, 06:27 PM   #19
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anxiety View Post
I'd love to hear more about this game, because I have it on my shortlist, but I haven;t decided to bite the bullet and pick it up. Mechanics, what youa re playing as, how magic works, etc. I've read reviews, and they seem to be long on combat and flavor, but short on eberything else.

The game doesn't have character classes. You're given a character and you spend your talent points mostly to improve his physical attribues and melee skills because a witcher is an expert of swords that has some magical abilties. Magic is probably 3rd behind attributes and sword skills in importance.

Magic really isn't a big part of the game. Its more about using your different combat stances at the right times. Magic is used to supplement melee.

Alchemy is a large part of the game in terms of buffs. You can stack some major improvements through potions and I'd say its a necessity to spend talent points unlocking the various alchemy things. Buffs can increase the rate you regenerate your HPs, increase damage, allow you to see in the dark, and quite a few other things. You can also create bombs and oils to coat your blades to improve damage or add an effect later on.

One knock on the game I could see is if you're a fan of spellcasters in RPGs then this probably isn't the game for you. 90% of combat in the game is melee with the occasional spell thrown out there, mainly for crowd controal or damage. Character advancement is probably the most linear part of the game from what I can see (though I'm still fairly early on in the game).
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote