View Single Post
Old 04-18-2011, 10:25 AM   #111
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade moore View Post
ok, fine.. "highlights"... "makes prominent".. however you want to put it, it is more of a focus in the show than it was in the books.

I'm saying that without having seen the show fwiw.

I think I will have to see more than one episode before I can agree or disagree with that statement. In fact, I believe the only scene with nudity in the first episode that was not in the books was the scene with Tyrion and the whores.

I am pretty sure that the Dany/Viserys scene in the bath was in the book, since Viserys is creepy and believe in the book he mentioned how based on the traditional Targaryen ways she would be his wife, everything at the Dothroki wedding and the scene with Dany and Drogo were in the book, and, obviously, the scene with Cersei and Jamie was in the book (though I can't rightly recall whether there was any nudity in that scene or not).

Granted, they could have cut those scenes or shot them in way that didn't show any nudity, but they were all in the books.

There is actually quite a bit of sex/nudity in the books and some of it gratuitous (e.g., the Dany lesbian scene, the Cersei lesbian scene, etc.). I actually don't really like them since I don't think George is very good at writing those scenes. Everything is sopping wet and there are glistening manhoods and things.

That said, a friend of mine wrote an email and part of his reactions to the show was that he thought that there was excessive nudity as well. It is definitely a legitimate gripe. And, like I said, something HBO tends to do with it shows. It's been doing it ever since waaaay back in the day on shows like "First & Ten". It's like they have to show breasts in an effort to say, "Hey! You're watching a show on cable. It's HBO, not TV. See, look, tittays!"

I think the worse offender I can recall was that HBO show "Tell me You Love Me." There, it was a combination of gratuitous nudity and excessive and completely unncessary "foul" language. I am by no means prudish or anything, and I know that show was supposed to be "real' and about adult relationships, but it felt like they were trying waaay too hard to be "adult."
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).

Last edited by Honolulu_Blue : 04-18-2011 at 10:30 AM.
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote