View Single Post
Old 04-18-2011, 12:16 PM   #122
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
I found it pretty easy to follow. Ned is the good guy, the incest twins are bad, the guy with the pony tail is really bad, the King is good, but irresponsible, etc. I have no idea how well this correlates to the books, but it was easy for me to understand/get in to.

Nope - that's the gist of it (for now). Cool.

Would it have enhanced your viewing experience at all to know the backstory though?

To know for example that Robert was once promised to Ned's sister, who ended up running off with the Targaryn crown prince (brother of the white-haired crazy guy), and that Ned's brother was killed by the crazy Targaryn king who then demanded that Ned & Robert be turned over to him to be killed too, and that then the Starks and Baratheon's (to simplify - the rebellion was actually led by Jon Arryn, their foster-father) led a rebellion that toppled the Targaryn's (complete with the male incest twin slitting the throat of the crazy king and opening the city gates to the invaders), and drove the last two Targaryn babies (crazy guy and naked girl) into exile on the other continent, and that as the price of having incest twin's powerful (rich) father support his crown that Robert had to marry her? Or is that level of backstory not necessary for your enjoyment?

You definitely nailed the gist of the characters by the way (at least for the moment as others have said) - I'm just wondering purely from an intellectual standpoint. Like I said - I liked it last night, but woke up this morning wondering if non-readers might be wanting a little more back-story.

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 04-18-2011 at 12:42 PM.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote