View Single Post
Old 04-19-2011, 09:07 AM   #138
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Yoinks, 43% lower than BE. That ain't good, might still be good enough (and probably is) but in that light I'm not quite as certain as I was yesterday.

Tell you what I believe it does, it makes it harder for anything similar to get produced. The numbers simply don't appear to be good enough to justify the expense.

You're the ratings-guru out there, but I have been reading a bunch and I'm not so sure that HBO was expecting it to do Boardwalk Empire #'s, considering that BE premiered at a different time of year, was promoted more, and had Scorcese directing the first episode, plus a Steve Buscemi as the main character.

You look at the unofficial numbers (which may still be revised upward of course), and it did the same premiere numbers as True Blood. BE also has dropped off massively I thought (the season finale was seen by less people than those who watched last night’s GOT premiere), so the key isn't necessarily premiere numbers...(trying to be an optimist here is all).

It's also done quite well internationally.

Media analyst Brad Adgate is reporting that the total viewer number for the premiere of Game of Thrones was 2.22 million. The median age was 44.2.

Meanwhile, initial news from the other side of the Pond is very good: Game of Thrones got highest ratings of all shows on Sky Atlantic so far.

Critical reaction and "pushing the envelope with quality drama" is almost important to HBO...

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 04-19-2011 at 09:16 AM.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote