View Single Post
Old 12-17-2017, 12:29 PM   #270
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveM58 View Post
Another positive, which I didn't even bother putting out there because most people think profit is evil, but the more profit ISPs make in non-subscription ways the less your rates go up. You can balk all you want at that but thats how the actual business works. Nobody wants to raise prices more than they have to because of the public reaction it gets from everybody that already knows how much they should pay for something.

They will charge as much as they feel the can. The idea that they make money in other ways and will decide that's enough money for us, let's lower rates is ludicrous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveM58 View Post
You should also consider that a single data point does not tell you the full scope of a service like that. Go read the reasons we aren't #1 in wired speeds again because they are similar enough to apply if you actually want to understand challenges for the US that most of these countries don't have.

I know there have been excuses for decades in why we lag behind the world. Like I said, I have higher expectations for the US. I don't think we should be happy that we're barely ahead of Mexico in mobile speed.

I think we should be trying to figure out how we can achieve the faster speeds at lower costs that other countries have. Instead of just figuring out how we can hand billion dollar companies more profits for their shareholders.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote