View Single Post
Old 08-28-2019, 12:31 PM   #18637
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lungs View Post
Yes, there is a creek running through our land that feeds into the Wisconsin River, which feeds into the Mississippi River. About fifteen years ago we built a large manure storage facility and got government cost-sharing with it. As part of that process we had to have government engineers mandate some changes to make us a zero run-off farm. We lost some pasture and had to do some excavating to prevent any accidental run-off from flowing into the creek.

We also took some land out of production along the creek at some point, which was pretty instrumental in mitigating damage from flooding we had a few years later. And it comes with a nice check from the government as if they were renting it from us.

I have heard some complaints about WOTUS (which is what I believe you are talking about here) but I'm having trouble wrapping my head around the complaints. Perhaps there are some legitimate issues with its implementation but people screaming about property rights and all that seem to ignore that when dealing with water, we are not on an island as farmers. Water moves. We have a responsibility to not pollute the water before it leaves our land.

Yes it is a list of costly "improvements" he had to make to his property and the easement of his property to reconcile with the new EPA regulations from the clean water act. I believe it also came from the Missouri conservation department so I won't put it all on the feds. I also know there is a very tedious process when he wants to sell his land. I fully admit to not knowing the specifics (and won't act like I do or put out a bunch of bs to win an internet argument) but know this was a big problem with him and his farmer neighbors. I also admit he may not know all the specifics or who is to blame specifically but he seems to know his stuff on ag policy.

I know another issue they are having is with the Army Corps of Engineers and how a lot of the flooding issues the Mississippi has been having are related to inconsistent policies that sometimes are trying to protect species of fish at the cost of thousands of acres of their land that flood. Again the next time I see him I will get more specifics but I know this is an issue as well. Again Trump is in power now so more a federal government issue than Democrats on this one.

The whole point being anyways is sometimes these issues are more complicated than Trump Bad, Democrats good. And saying Trump sucks for farmers but they hate AOC and vote "wrong" (implying I guess because they are closet racists) could be the reason that the Democrats lose some of these votes? Would you not agree knowing your fellow farmers pretty well that it doesn't help to insult them or ignore them like Clinton seemed to do during 2016?
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote