View Single Post
Old 05-13-2013, 01:34 PM   #165
Icy
Pro Starter

Made my goal today, running 10k for first time in the past 20 years.

I made it purely on heart, because my legs and brain told me to stop since KM4.

Everything went bad, first i was nervous to try it, my goal was to run 10k before the 15th, and the next two days are going to be full of meetings at work, so it had to be today.

I went out too early for this time of the year, at 5:30pm is too hot already, but i saw it was cloudy and thought it wouldn't be that hot. Wrong, it was too humid. On K2 it started to rain a lot, typical storm, and while the water helped with the heat, made my feet feel heavier.

On K4, the storm ended, the sun appeared again, and damn it was burning a lot. Then my brain started to tell me to stop, to try it another day, that it was not worth it, i would get injured, that i would get dehydrated, etc.

It was weird, i have been running over 4k for a few weeks already, even doubling the distance and doing it way faster, so i don't know what happened, if it was the heat, the rain, or just thinking about how much lasted to end my goal.

But i told my brain to shut up! turned the music louder and slowed a bit the pace, I would't make it under 70 minutes, but i was determined to at least run the 10k.

The last 2k were easier, i started to run a bit faster, and felt good again, at that point i knew i could make it, and i did!

Based on my 8k time, i thought i could make the 10k under 7 min per k, but ended being more, 7.12 min per k, mainly because the slow down during the middle of the run when my brain felt apart.

So i made, it, now i need to set new goals for the next months, probably will be to lower the 10k time, in 6 months to try to run it under 60 min. Then also maybe a half marathon for the next year. Another goal i set a week ago is to lose 15 to 20 pounds, as i'm too heavy for running and my knees are suffering, i have lost 2 pounds already in the first week.

Damn this is addicting!

Last edited by Icy : 05-13-2013 at 01:37 PM.
Icy is offline   Reply With Quote