View Single Post
Old 07-23-2019, 06:12 PM   #76
Greyfriars Bobby
College Prospect

2 May 2017

I couldn't have scripted a better beginning to the season for our club. We've already added a new trophy to our case, we've advanced to the final in the All-Ireland Cup, and we're ten points clear at the top of the Premier Division table.

Cups

The President's Cup is a one-match "tournament" between the winner of the Senior Challenge Cup and the Premier Division champions. I used a rotated squad, since the match took place only three days before our first match in the All-Ireland Cup. It made no difference, as we saw off Bohemians and claimed the trophy.

The Board want us to win the All-Ireland Cup, and we've already come a long way toward that goal. Aaron O'Connor's hat trick sparked us to a comfortable result over Northern Irish club Cliftonville. Four clubs from the Republic advanced to the Semi Final. We drew Bohemians, and 2-0 victories, away and home, saw us through. We'll face Derry City at the national stadium on 16 May.

O'Connor has become the King of Cups, with five goals in five games in trophy competitions.

League

Our form has been every bit as good in league play. Every team we play seems to take the same approach: cramming as many men as possible into their end of the pitch and hoping to catch a break, or drawing a set piece and hoping for some luck.

Even the bigger clubs in the league will do this, home or away. For example, here are the average positions of St. Pat's Athletic's players in their match against us at Richmond Park.

I've adjusted to this ultra-defensive response by having the team play a bit more directly and move the ball around a bit faster, and so far it's working.

The new additions to our team have made positive impressions so far. Kevin O'Shea is the league's top scorer, with seven goals in Premier Division play. Colin Fearn has five assists, joint high in the league (Gareth Kearney is one of the two other players with five helpers). David White has four goals in all competitions.

Gone are the days when Galway United were a rag-tag bunch of scrappers from a small club from out West. Getting into Europe has given me the cash to spend on better players, and the board has agreed to upgrade our training facilities. Now we have the biggest wage bill in Ireland.

My task, therefore, will be to keep the Tribesmen in their new place, among Irish football royalty.
Greyfriars Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote