View Single Post
Old 04-11-2023, 08:33 PM   #18
Emmett13
Mascot

Recruiting Class of 2039 (part 1)

The early phase has ended and with 7 scholarships we were pretty darn active and put out a lot of visits, calls and offers to make sure we get some guards (and one post player).

We missed out on who I wanted the most, #125 Joe Crawford who brought the size and rebounding I so desperately want from a wing, but he instead went to BYU.

But, we did get a couple of decent consolation prices. That leaves us with 5 left over. We for sure need at least one post player and a point guard (I feel pretty confident a 3* is going to recruit soon). That would get us to 10/13, then probably a 5th post and one last perimeter player. The engine mandates that you can only have 12 active players for each game. So, if you use all 13 scholarships for players, you automatically have one inactive. So, essentially, what's the point of having that 13th guy?

Anyways...

Our two commitments:

Brandan Wimberly, #181, 6'7", 198, Kingfisher, Oklahoma

Wimberly is a home state guy and Mr. Basketball in the state of Oklahoma, which is always a bonus. He's an elite athlete and one heck of a defender. As you can probably guess that means he's lacking offensive abilities. But, he's not useless. A little bit of a three point shot, and can shoot off the dribble. But, he definitely has a defensive profile. He also rebounds some from the perimeter, which I always love to have.

and

Aaron O'Neal, #72, 6'7", 196, Deer Park, Texas

Another big wing that can rebound and plays good defense (though less than Wimberly). What makes him exciting to me is that he has some real ball skills and looks like he'll generate some assists, and I even think could get away with time at PG in a really big lineup. The big issue with O'Neal is that he's got a bad attitude and has some worrisome intangibles. He's not complete nutcase like some ours, and he's got a few redeeming qualities, but altogether is definitely not a safe bet to stick around for four years. But, I am excited to see him in action.
Emmett13 is offline   Reply With Quote