Thread: Old School
View Single Post
Old 01-24-2018, 01:20 PM   #5
hollmt
High School Varsity

Izulde:

Thank you. I've taken a few online classes before at my stint at Sinclair and they do take a little bit of extra discipline. I had it then and have much more of it now. Gaming got in the way even then sometimes. It does amaze me how many students do not pay attention and ask stupid questions i.e. , in the Chem class, where half the class apparently flipped out over the auto-grader and our Instructor clearly stated there were issues with it and that he would hand grade it. Another student in my A&P class could not find some links. She apparently didn't take the time to even look. I replied to her message and directed her to them. Others don't even follow a simple rubric on discussion posts. 250 word intros....150 word replies. Minimum. It isn't hard. Then they will bitch I am sure when they do not get full credit. Or they won't do the easy study plan modules WHICH ASSIST YOU and nearly hold your hand for free points. I would love to hear some of your stories from the other end of teaching online classes. I bet they are interesting.

JCT32:

Grats on finishing 8 years. Also thanks for telling me I am old!
Funny thing (or maybe not) about the diabetes. This was 20-21 years ago, so if I am fuzzy on all details, don't yell at me. At MEPS, I actually popped for passing sugar in my urine. They had me sit for 2-3 hours I think and then test again, after-which I was cleared.
I do not remember if they took blood or not in basic. If they did, nothing was triggered there. Either way I went through basic just fine or at least felt as if I was fine. I was a little tired, but didn't think much of it.
Got to Orlando and I believe we had a couple to 3 weeks before classes started. It was actually during that time that I got sick enough that I noticed. I ignored it etc. until I finally got it checked out.
So, I never even really got to start classes. I was just there in Orlando waiting to start.
I stayed in Orlando for awhile then Jax awaiting discharge.
Navy stated I had a pre-existing condition (which they apparently missed or at the very least didn't check enough when I passed some sugar in my urine), VA disagreed and stated that it was service connected. You can figure the rest out I think.

Long winded answer, I know.

In regards to school. I think I will be alright for the online portion of my A&P class, especially the labs. The Chem class, I have not yet decided if I regret that decision yet. Part of me wanted to take at least my labs with others in an actual lab setting. I can learn the material online but yes, I certainly agree, there is an extra element to learning it in a classroom setting. Next semester I have to have my first Bio class, and that is only in a classroom setting. I might take the Chem 2 class in a classroom setting as well when I take that in the summer or fall.

Last edited by hollmt : 01-24-2018 at 01:21 PM.
hollmt is offline   Reply With Quote