Thread: Old School
View Single Post
Old 02-09-2018, 02:34 PM   #7
hollmt
High School Varsity

Did he quit already? Nope.

So, I am in week/module 4 and I was waiting for a bit to post until I got more grades in to report on.

Lets start with A&P101

I believe I covered module 1 and what I did. That module focused on Anatomical Positions and Orientation of the Human Body. I really enjoyed the chapter. I expected to do pretty well grade-wise in that module and did.
Intro Worksheet 15/15
Lab Quiz 10/10
Introduce Yourself Discussion Post 15/15
Learnsmart 15/15

Module 2 started diving into the chemical basis of life. I didnt enjoy the chapter as much, but grinded through it. So again, I had the typical Powerpoint presentation and some videos to watch. At least the videos are interesting. The lab for this module was an interactive lab dealing with the microscope and the parts and how to use it and then looking at interactive slides. Fairly neat stuff here in regards to being online and operting a 'microscope' and slides. I was having a bit of trouble zooming in on some stuff and did not make the wisest of choices to start my lab quiz before I got the hang of the interactive scope and only hit 9/10 on the lab quiz. I was running out of time and guessed on an answer and guessed wrong. Not a few minutes after the timer went off, did I figure out the scope problems. I needed some patience there. However, your lowest lab quiz gets dropped, so technically that score is not on the board.

Module 3 was even less fun than module 2 for me, but again, I grinded through it. This chapter dealt with Cells and Cell transport along with the main lab focus of osmosis and diffusion. The lab for this chapter was very fun and interesting though. It was a 4 day lab overall and many of you might be familiar with it....The Rubber Egg. Thankfully, I read the module plan on Monday, so I knew the lab required more overall time. This was a lot of data recording and picture taking. Egg goes in a vinegar bath for 72 hours and becomes a rubber egg. After that, it gets dropped in a corn syrup bath for 12 hours and shrivels up. After that it goes back in red dye water for 12 hours (i chose red, the lab did not call for it) and turns back into a red rubber egg. This lab wasnt a quiz and instead was a lab journal based on your results and osmosis/diffusion/active and passive transport/osmotic pressure/hypotonic vs hypertonic/ and some other terms and your understanding of them all and how all of it was used in the lab. It also graded you on spelling, grammar and proper citation and was worth 15 points. It has not yet been graded.

So far the other grades that have come through for A&P are:
Chapter 2 Learnsmart 15/15
Chapter 3 Learnsmart 15/15

Overall grade at the moment: 85/85. Seriously, the Learnsmarts, as I have mentioned before, are free points and I would be stupid not to get them. The quizzes havent been too hard to start. I think my journal was done fairly well (it also covered some interactive stuff from Ph.I.L.S and APR beyond the actual lab) but I have no idea how hard she will grade based on the rubric.

This weeks module is Exam #1 covering chapters 1-3. This exam is NOT proctored and is allowed open book and notes. I spent time over the first 3 weeks getting my stuff in order so I didn't really have to cram on that and have studied/reviewed a bit each night, 1) to know the material and 2) to know where to access the material for the exam as/if I need it. It is worth 100 points and I expect to get 90 or above on it. I believe it is graded immediately as it is multiple choice/matching. I will report afterwards.

There is also a midterm and final and they ARE proctored on campus. There is another non proctored exam later on in the course.

I will cover Chem in the next post.
hollmt is offline   Reply With Quote