View Single Post
Old 06-27-2023, 01:36 AM   #23
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

While I figure out my structure of how I want to tell stories -- it might just be stuff like this -- I want to talk about Colin Love who'll be a Hall of Famer, for still clocking away at 39. He's heading to the post-season with the Sacramento Solons. Cool story, right? Well, it gets funnier.

Because he's been subjected to be in a league I ran, the Solons are a peripatetic organization that have been in like 6 cities since they were originally founded. Normally, I would solve this problem by deleting the original club and creating an expansion club and moving all the players there, but I didn't do that with this club because I didn't realize I was going to move them until I did each time.

(Admittedly, this was over the course of like 3-4 real life calendar years, so there's some excuse)

Here's the franchise history.

Quote:
2026: Oklahoma City Twisters (expansion)
2027-30: Las Vegas Scorpions
2031-32: Minnesota Loons
2033: Pittsburgh Finches
2034-38: Indianapolis Racers
2039-44: Alaska Goldpanners
2045-present (2050): Sacramento Solons

He obviously wasn't around for all of that moving. He didn't join the franchise until 2031 when the then-Oklahoma City Dodgers dealt him to Minnesota to play for the Loons. (OKC got an expansion team when the Dodgers left, but then it moved again)

From there, he stayed on with the club through the Minnesota years, became a fan-favorite in Indiana and then even schlepped to Alaska for 3.5 years before the Panners traded him back to Indianapolis at a deadline deal. Rather than stick around, he signed with the Houston Astros and won a World Series title in 2045, spent 6 years in Houston before signing with the New York Mets last year. Their playoff hopes quickly were dashed and in the off-season, I decided to send him to Sacramento in the hopes of making it a full circle storyline. Plus, the game will retire him as a Solon regardless (because of how OOTP retires guys), so I wanted to make sure he actually had played for the franchise.

It's been a successful year in Sac-Town, he's hit .284, had a 1 WAR and currently sits at 3187 career hits. This is their 2nd playoff appearance in 3 years, but this time they've won the AL West and are looking to get beyond just the 1st round.

Funny enough, this franchise had one other guy who had only ever played for them through every city, OF Harlan Brown (32.9 WAR, 2140 hits, .277 career BA) he was only an all-star once, but started with them in Las Vegas and went all the way through Alaska, but became a free agent the off-season before the Sacramento move and they didn't resign him.

I don't have managers or coaches on, but I retired his number anyway and he said that he's the manager of the Solons because it's the only thing that makes any sense.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote