View Single Post
Old 05-01-2009, 12:02 AM   #767
Radii
Head Coach

A couple more comments before I advance recruiting. We're still a young team so as frustrated as I felt playing Tennessee, it seems that we're also capable of beating anyone. And that's not surprising for a talented team that relies on a lot of underclassmen... we can beat anyone when we play well, but are capable of days where we'd lose to almost anyone as well.

And secondly... I seem to do better in games where I slow the pace. The theory is for me to have 10 quality players, use them all, and run a lot, take the first good shot, etc. I'm not playing many 100 poitn games, and I'm not forcing it too much. In fact when I slow it down, what I'm doing is just sitting on the ball until there's 15-18 seconds on the shot clock, then going to run a play. In that instance I *have* to take the first shot that appears decent, or Moye or Forte end up playing one on one and launching something as the shot clock expires. But maybe I need to slow things down like that more often even against same level/worse competition? It doesn't make sense, and maybe that's not an important factor, I really don't know.

In Season Recruiting Period

So I expect the SF to sign with us, and I'm going to keep a close watch on the other two high level targets I've got and make a decision on what to do before the week ends.

5* SF Roberto Mayer (#14 OVR/#3 SF/HS AA ) signs with FLORIDA STATE

Even though it was expected its exciting as hell to see. In addition to a top 15 recruit, that's two more valuable coaching points at the end of the year... 5* recruit in-season, and a high school all american. The only recruiting goal i have not completed is to sign the #1 overall recruit. Maybe I'll get lucky one of these seasons and we'll get a #1 recruit from Florida. It seems like i'm having major recruiting success at FSU sooner than EF27 did at Wake. The 8 man class obviously played a *huge* part but I suspect coaching a school in Florida has made a big difference as well.

Outside of signing the #1 recruit, the remainder of my goals involve national awards, having a player/underclassmen selected in the draft, and then the rest are team success type achievements. Be ranked #1, beat the #1 ranked team, and NCAA Tournament Success.

Anyway, back to recruiting:

I perform my recruiting actions, and mid-week Clemson makes an offer on SG Darren Bookout, the stud guard from Wilmington. I've got him up to 99% but that's not enough. Clemson is almost certainly going to land him.

I switch my scholarship over to PF Haminn Millar. Arizona and UCLA seem to have looked elsewhere, UCLA signing the top Center in the nation(as opposed to PF) who was rated nearly this highly, and Arizona seems to need backcourt players and may be ignoring big men completely.

And on the last day of the signing period:

5* PF Haminn Millar (#19 OVR/#2 PF/HS AA) signs with FLORIDA STATE

Wow. I was excited with what might happen with that giant 8 man recruiting class 2 seasons ago, and a couple solid players last year... well now just as those guys become upper classmen, we get to work two mcdonalds all americans into the mix. Amazing.

PF Haminn Millar - 6'9" 218 lbs - #19 OVR/#2 PF - Alhambra, CA

Shooting: B-
Skills: B
Defense: B
Athleticism: A-
Rebounding: A
Inteligence: A
Potential: A-
Size: A-

6'9 can easily become 6'10", so I'm pleased with the size. 12.9 ppg/8.5 rpg in the ABL for the Lakers(hah). 48% from the field/70% from the line.

B- orb/B- drb. B- post off/C post def. B- blocks. C- close/C+ in traffic. Great physical skills... A- vert/B+ str/B hustle. A+ durability. B offensive awareness/C+ defensive awareness. He doesn't scream polished post player, but he should be a solid rebounder with hopefully great potential to grow.

5* SF Roberto Mayer - 6'7" 222 lbs - #14 OVR/#3 SF - Hollywood, FL

Shooting: A-
Skills: B
Defense: B+
Athleticism: A-
Rebounding: B
Intelligence: B+
Potential: A+
Size: B+

17.3 ppg/7.3 rpg/3.4 apg in the ABL. 51% from the floor, 66% from the line, 45% from 3.

B close/B- med/B- 3/C+ off the dribble/C+ in traffic. B- defense/B+ blocks/C+ steals. Looks like he can help out in the post as well. C+ orb/C+ drb. B post off/C+ post def. Those will be scaled for SF's so don't expect like 80+ or anything, but solid. A decent athlete, C+ vertical/C+ str/A+ hustle. And he scouts out with A+ potential. That has never been reliable... but that would be amazing heh.

We did play one game during the week:

Dec 5, 2020

Florida State 59
at New Orleans 58

I'll excuse that since its on the road. Sun Belt teams aren't bad either, though New Orleans is just rated 77 OVR.

My next game is against U(sic)GA in Athens. They're rated 80 OVR and I'll be playing that one out. Then we have 4 games against teams rated 74 and below, I'll sim all 4 of those and it'll be time to start ACC play.

One last note. I have two juniors on the roster, so next year I expect to have two more scholarships. I'll do the same thing I did last season since I'm totally done recruiting. I'll load up on 4* and 5* Juniors and call them all every week and drum up as much interest as possible.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote