View Single Post
Old 05-02-2009, 02:02 AM   #773
Radii
Head Coach

January 12, 2021

Florida State (9-4, 1-0 ACC) at Boston College (14-4, 2-0 ACC)

BC lost the best player in the league last year, a junior guard who went pro early(best player in the league according to the game's info). They've dropped a bit as far as their roster strengh but they're still quite good, they do start 3 underclassmen, one of them a bit out of place, but they have some very talented starters.

TEAM: FSU|BC
OVR: 89|87
OFF: 88|88
DEF: 89|87
SHT: 89|91
REB: 93|85
COA: 86|92

Scouting

PG Andy Garner – SO – 83 OVR – 89 speed/84 quickness. 86 defense/81 steals. Solid. 88 hands/84 passing, a good natural PG. 84 close/76 med/85 3/83 off the dribble/80 in traffic. He's just a soph so he probably doesn't have a great scoring instinct yet but he looks like a guy that can score from all over. 10.2 ppg. Oh, this is BC's 5* JC transfer they brought in last year, this is his first year.

SG Davor Morris – SR – 88 OVR – 87 speed/92 quickness. B vert/B+ str/A- hustle, a great athlete overall. Solid awareness. 84 defense/94 steals(A, very good). Great ball handler (88/A-). 91 close/79 med/87 3/82 off the dribble/85 in traffic. Somehow he just averages 9 points/game so far, he looks like an elite scorer.

SF CC Carroll – SR – 85 OVR – Natural SG, 6'4”. 94 speed but just 84 quickness. 85 defense/79 steals. 91 close/74 med/82 3. Decent in traffice but not as good at creating his own shot off the dribble. He's a fair rebounder. 10.7 ppg/4.6 rpg.

PF Dotun Obrzut – FR – 70 OVR – 6'7” PF – 68 orb/79 drb. 73 post off/75 post def. 85 close/84 in traffic. Really not good at all. 2.4 ppg so far.

C Sidiki Sarchet – SO – 78 OVR – 6'8” natural PF. 85 orb/82 drb. 78 post off/74 post def. 90 close/85 in traffic. Not strong at all(64/C+). 10.3 ppg/4.9 rpg. Very undersized.

They have an ok bench. Two guards in the mid-70s and a couple backup SF's and big men in the low 70s. They are tiny though, we have a huge size advantage inside, something we can hopefully capitalize on. Aside from Morris, we are similarly talented teams, we are more talented from top to bottom but they have the two best players on the court in Morris and Carroll. Home court is likely huge in a matchup like this. And today the Eagles have it.

Half
Time
FSU
BC
Notes
13:00
Even start, then a 9-2 run for BC, and we've got a couple shots to get back to within a possession. McCants comes out, he gets tired sooner than everyone else. The rest of the starters will sit in a minute or so. Morris and Carroll have 12 of their 14 points.
11:30
Backups are in. Sneed, McCants and Moye have all our points, 5 for Moye, 4 for each of the bigs. Sneed is struggling a lot more than I expected this year though, no big games and lots of 40% shooting days.
6:10
We got down as much as 8 and had cut it to as close to 3 til they just scored on a fast break layup. I get a timeout to get the starters back in. As their roster rating suggests, they are a very good shooting team.
3:30
Forte and Moye hit back to back 3's and BC calls a timeout, just a 3 point game now.
2:25
BC inexplicably throws the inbounds pass away(like right out of bounds by everyone), and we get a good look for Sneed inside. They miss on their next trip and McCants is there on the secondary break for a layin, we lead by 1! BC Timeout.

HALF
Solid first half, we're playing well on both ends. BC is 14-27 from the field, we're 14-29. 3 pointers are even, we're 6-8 from the line, they're 2-2 to account for the 4 point spread. They actually have a small edge on the boards which surprised me, but we have forced a couple more turnovers and have 1 more blocked shot.

They get 11 from SG Morris, 6 from C Sarchet. Only 4 from Carroll. Moye leads us with 13. Sneed and McCants have 6 each(both shooting 3-5) and Forte has 5. Ozier is scoreless. We just need to play good enough defense to prevent a big run in the 2nd half and we should be in the game... on the road against talented players that is easier said than done sometimes.
13:15
Outstanding start to the half... Ozier has 6 now after a scoreless first half, Moye is up to 17, and Sneed is up to 12. Sneed is all over the boards, he's pulling down everything on both ends, up to 11 boards total now. All 3 of his second half buckets have been from scooping up loose balls or grabbing offensive boards. Starters are gassed from this run though and the backups are in.
12:45
Their PG falls over trying to bring the ball up against Alloway, he misses a shot but Sanders is there for the putback. Timeout BC.
11:05
Another timeout by BC, I guess they feel like this game is getting away from them.
8:30
Starters are back in. They bring Morris and their starting PG back in and I don't want them to go on a run. I've got most of my timeouts too so I should be good. Day with 8 today for the backups, a career high for him off the bench(not saying much, but nice to see him get going a bit).
4:00
Still looking very good with 4 to go.
2:30
Sneed is just great today.

BC may not be the best team in the league this year, but they still have some extremely talented players, and beating them by double figures on the road feels really good.

Florida State 73
Boston College 60

Their backcout dominates, but not quite enough. 24 from Morris, 11 from Carroll, 10 from Garner. We end up with a solid edge on the boards, 29-22, after being at a disadvantage in the first half, a big turnaround.

Forte: 5 points/2 steals
Moye: 17 points
Ozier: 6 points
Sneed: 22 points/13 boards
McCants: 8 points/7 boards

Day: 8 points

Sneed ties a career high in points and sets a career rebounding mark. McCants has a very solid day in support of Sneed inside. Moye with another solid, consistent performance.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote