View Single Post
Old 01-06-2005, 11:38 AM   #229
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Reserves News
Ivan Kaviedes
plays his first match with the Reserves, and what a match, Despite being out of form, he scored a goal, got an assist, and ended the game with a rating of 8 and Man of the Match honor. He completed 20 of 22 passes, won 5 of 8 headers and took 4 shots, although only one was on target. It's only with the reserves, but it is still good news to me.

Staff News
We get good response to our physio advert. 12 people responded. Jon Short is a little know physio with great skills. With a name like that, I had to offer him a contract He's currently with Bristol Rovers and they would have to be compensated with 24k, which is the lowest of all the compensation among the 12 physios who applied for the job. I offer him a wage of $500 per week while he's asking for $550...

September 9, 2006
Match #8: away at Stoke (currently 14th with 10 points, 3 ahead of us)
S: Morris/Kaviedes/D'Sane
MC: Mansell (with up arrow)
DMC: Johnson/Chambers (with up arrows)
D: Piotto/James/Coyne/Foley (no up arrows)
GK: Murphy

First you can see two new faces for us in the game, Jacopo Piotto and Ivan Kaviedes. Piotto because I feel like he's improved a lot in the last 2 seasons or so, I being away from home, I like the 4 defenders backfield better than the 3 defenders one. Sol Davis is still injured and Piotto is the first choice among players capable to play on the left side. Kaviedes is not ready to play full time yet, but I feel his condition is just good enough that he could give us one half of play before I pull him out. He's at 86% in the afternoon before the game, and at 91% as we step on the field. Him not being in top playing shape forces me to carry an extra striker on the bench and forego the backup defender. I usually go with GK-D-DM-AM-S, but today I'll have GK-DM-AM-S-S...

We also have the return of two injured players in Richard Johnson and Kevin Foley. The return of Johnson gives me the possibility to leave Paul Evans on the bench, as his recent production has not been up to what I was hoping for from him. Kevin Foley's return is very welcomed, as I could not really find anybody who does as well as him on the right side...

They played a vanilla 4-4-2 with moderate push from the wingers in their last match. While scouting them, I see that their star striker is on international duty and that they have a midfielder that is injured... As we get to the game, they show a 4-3-3 formation similar to ours on top, but with 3 middies on a line in the middle. I will need a strong performance from Joe Murphy against an attacking formation like that...

17th minute: They score a freakish goal to go up by one. One of their players kicks toward goal but it's blocked by Tony James, only to be headed back in the goal by that same player. We go down 0-1.

First half ends with us down 0-1. We're having a rough time getting our feet to the ball, controlling it only 42% of the half. Lee Morris' condition dropped to 37% after he needed the physio. He's out and James Pinnock goes in. Ivan Kaviedes' condition is at 69%, he'll stay in for now.

61st minute: Ivan Kaviedes' condition is now at 56% and I pull him out. Giuseppe Rossi comes in. Lee Mansell also comes out and Marc Bridge-Wilkinson takes his place.

65th minute: We get in the box, Marc Bridge-Wilkinson to Giuseppe Rossi but the keeper makes a spectacular save on Rossi. We're still down by one.

86th minute: I put everyone on all attack mode and it pays off. From a cleared ball by Kevin Foley to Roscoe D'Sane who pumps a long through ball for Giuseppe Rossi. Rossi loses the ball inside the penalty box, but OH! He's obstructed by a defender! PENALTY!!! Marc Bridge-Wilkinson calmly scores the equalizer with a kick just inside the post. Tied 1-1.

90th minute: For half a second I think about pulling back from the all out attack mode we're in, but I think "what the heck!", and it pays off again! Kevin Foley once again starts it all with a beautiful ball to a Marc Bridge-Wilkinson on the run. BW continues inside the box and beats the keeper to the near post for his second goal of the night. We go up 2-1!

We absolutely turned the game around in the last 10 minutes, they can't catch us after that. We win!

Final Score: Luton 2, Stoke 1
Shots (on target): Luton 8 (4), Stoke 16 (2)
MoM: Kevin Foley with a rating of 9 and an assist. He also completed 18 of 22 passes, 5 of them key passes, while also intercepting 9 balls and winning 12 of 13 tackles. All in all an exceptional return to the field for our right fullback

Many players had good games. Richard Johnson also got a 9, winning 9 of 12 tackles and intercepting 4 balls.

Giuseppe Rossi got a 7 in his first competitive match for us, completing 7 of 7 passes and putting his 2 shots on target.

Ivan Kaviedes also did well in the 61 minutes he played in his debut as a Hatter. He completed 23 of 24 passes and received a 7 for form.

Joe Murphy didn't the kind of good match I was hoping for, receiving a 6 for his effort, but it's better than the 5 he pulled in the last match.

Finally, 19 year old Jacopo Piotto had a strong performance, getting an 8 in his first ever league game, for Luton, or anyone else for that matter.

Possession: (us/them)
our zone: 12/27
middle: 20/24
their zone: 11/6
Overall: 43/57

We move up to 16th place with the win.

The team board is extremely pleased with the unexpected win, as are most of the players. This win, as were the first 2 we had this season, is a great morale booster.

FM