View Single Post
Old 02-13-2018, 12:09 AM   #30
kcarr
High School JV

During free agency we extended quite a few UDFAs for longer contracts.

Going into the draft our biggest needs are finding an offensive weapon of some sort, WR or RB likely, finding an edge rusher, and I would also like to find another offensive lineman.

At the top of the draft we took Justin Aleman 39/88, LB, Utah State. At 6'1" 244 lbs he is a little light for the SLB position but he looks like a stud. He will start right away and should be a leader of the defense in a couple years.

Seeing a lot of talent at the top of the 2nd round I moved down to the middle of the round in exchange for the last pick of the 3rd and 5th rounds.

At 2.15 I went with the playmaker I have been looking for. Rusty Cooper 36/61, skipped most of the combine but did take the solecismic and scored the highest of any WR at a 43. The 6' 194 lb East Carolina pass catcher looks like a great route runner with the courage to go over the middle and the hands to avoid drops and adjust to the ball.

Watching the draft I saw a couple guys I was really looking at come off the board and started to get nervous. I ended up giving up my 3.01 and 4.01 to the Giants for their 2.24 and 6.24. With that pick I took the last real stud I saw on my board, DE Dashawn Mallow 35/72, who really fits the 3-4 DE role at 6'8" 302 lbs and being elite against the run but with really good pass rushing technique as well.

At the end of the 3rd round we went with Taylor Cates 40/61, who looks like a prototype weak side rush linebacker for our system. We had a hope with Arteaga who we drafted last year but he looks even better.

At the top of the 5th round we added Rutgers corner Camden Warhurst 24/47. At 5'7" 185 lbs he is small but brings good man coverage skills to the table.

In the 6th we went with LG Diego McKenzie 20/47, likely not a long term starter but a good depth option who could start this year.

At 6.24 we went with some LB depth taking Harding LB Marty Perkins 18/47. He has some good pass rushing skills and will fill in as a rush LB in places.

At 6.30 we went with RB Patrick Rodgers 31/41, a back with power and elusiveness and better pass catching skills that the rest of our backs.

At 7.01 we added another TE to our mix with Gabe DeLamielleure 22/49, who should be a solid pass catcher and the best route runner of our TE group.
kcarr is offline   Reply With Quote