View Single Post
Old 02-06-2009, 12:03 AM   #50
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

I'll bite ...

SOLR - GT Solar International, Inc
Solar power, if Obama goes alternative energy as seems to be indicated then it'll play a big part in things. Has beat earnings expectations regularly and is trading at a ludicrously low level despite having risen nearly 50% in the past 2 days.
Don't even consider purchasing yet though as I reckon it'll yoyo down to around $3.50 again before it breaks out from its current levels.

I fully expect this stock to at least double up within the next 2 years.

FVE - Five Star Quality Care, Inc.
This is at the riskier end of investments at present simply because the company carries a fair bit of debt. That being said even in a recession people get old and as such need to be looked after.
A company which has expanded agressively and is presently trading at $1.85 against a high of around $12 a couples of years ago.
Presuming the company doesn't get itself into too much trouble with refinancing debt I'd expect its price to be at least $3-5 within the next 5 years.

NOK - Nokia
Largest mobile phone manufacturer in the world, limited debts and huge clout. It lacks the sexiness of Apple's Iphone or RIMM's Blackberry but more than makes up for it with its range of products and vitally is competitive nearly everywhere in the world (with the odd absence of notable market share in the US).
Reasonable dividend of around 4% and a very low P/E multiple with its present price around $13, I can't see this company failing to remain stable even if the recession is prolonged. Ideally I expect them to eat up smaller up and coming tech companies in the meantime, setting themselves up for growth during the recovery period.

MSFT - Microsoft
Safe bet, the worlds most popular operating system manufacturer. Its obviously a stable largely debt free money machine presently priced at $19 - or around 60% of its valuation a year ago. It pays a small but safe dividend.
Microsoft will be releasing the 'new' Windows in the next year which is a guarenteed revenue bringer, the Xbox360 is now profitable and while behind the Wii appears to be fending off the PS-3 with ease, on top of this there are strong rumours of a 'Microsoft phone' going around - something which if done intelligently could open up a whole new market.
On top of this I conjecture that Apple allowing non-DRM music downloads/conversion of existing libraries will allow people to escape from the iTunes/iPod lock which has kept most other mp3 players as nothing more than a niche - potentially allowing Microsofts Zune or descrendants to make some headway into that market.

HYGS - Hydrogenics Corporation (USA)
A hugely risky proposition which will either make me look like a genius or a moron in the future. A penny stock currently priced at 44c, HYGS produces hydrogen fuel cells and suchlike.
My theory is that while hybrid electrical systems are presently trendy in the long term the post petrol transport solution will be hydrogen based.
Reasoning being - its easier to convert existing car engines to use hydrogen than into hybrids (cutting costs for users and manufacturers), its also easier for companies to sell hydrogen at gas stations then it is to do the same with electric products (where a user can plug in at home). This allows the present 'gas' companies to move into hydrogen and retain their present approach to business largely.
No idea what will happen with the company to be honest, its purely speculative - but at 44c a share its affordable enough to pick up a few hundred shares and dream that they might be the next big thing.

All these stocks are suggested as long term purchases (ie. buy and hold), in the current market I think buying for short-term gain is best left to people braver than myself

Last edited by Marc Vaughan : 02-06-2009 at 12:06 AM.
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote