View Single Post
Old 06-25-2015, 08:31 PM   #10
Greyfriars Bobby
College Prospect

19 April 2015

Things are about to get even more real in Lapland, as our league season begins today.

During March and the first half of April, we continued to play friendly matches, including some contests with Swedish teams and a derby game against our senior affiliate, Rovaniemen Palloseura. We also continued our surprising run in the Suomen Cup until it was ended by one of Finland's bigger clubs.

Yes, we've played 16 matches before our league programme begins.

We gave SJK a run for their money in the Fifth Round of the Suomen Cup. I thought we played very well against a much larger opponent, and one of their goals came on a somewhat dubious penalty.

Our new arrangement with Töölön Vesa isn't working out well. None of our Under 19s will agree to go on loan there! A few of the young lads are starting to aggravate me; they whine about their training levels being too hard (even after I coddle them and cut them back), and pout when they're asked to go to Vesa and get some first team football.

I hired a Director of Football, a savvy gentleman named Juuso Koski, partially because I'd like him to spend some time trying to line up opportunities for players to go on loan. So far, that hasn't worked out either. However, Koski has already made his first contribution to Santa's success, as you will read later.

I always enjoy Trial Days. Young free agents who are trying to find clubs to play for audition for managers who might want to sign them. Finland Trial Day was 21 March, and our Head Scout, Mattias Henriksson, recommended a handful of trialists for closer observation.

One of them, Juho-Matti Aaltonen, impressed me enough that I signed him to a contract. Aaltonen is 23, and he has some degree of proficiency at every position on the pitch besides central defense and goalkeeper. He'll probably feature most often at right back, but he's apt to be on the team sheet every match, filling in wherever we need him. I love having guys like Juho-Matti in my team, and this time I have several of them.

There was one remaining "hole" in the Santa Claus team, and that was the lack of a player who was truly comfortable playing AM(C). I like having at least one man who can fill that role, allowing me an extra measure of tactical flexibility. If he can also play other positions, making himself useful when I'm not using an AM(C), all the better.

Last week, Juuso Koski found just the player: 22-year-old Ari Ruuskanen. His mental attributes are very good for our level, and he has pace and creativity. He can play any position in the offensive 'half' of the pitch. I assigned Janne Kallio to the U19s, where he'll get more playing time than he will with the senior team right now.

We've battled some injuries lately. Striker Joona Kalermo is just returning to action after straining a groin muscle in mid-March. Midfielder Antti Heikkilä twisted a knee last week, and he'll be out for another three weeks or so. That's one reason why I like having so many versatile players in the club.

There are 123 clubs in Suomen Kolmonen, divided into eight groups; each group contains 15 or 16 teams. It looks like the winner of each group is promoted to Suomen Kakkonen, the third level of the pyramid. We're in Group B, and the media has tipped us to win. That's what the board expects, too, so my work is cut out for me.

Speaking of the board, the chairman is currently in discussions regarding a possible takeover of the club. That might not be a good thing...we'll have to see.
Greyfriars Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote