View Single Post
Old 03-13-2018, 02:18 PM   #641
AlexB
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by muns View Post
Free and developed civilization here can be debated and can be subjective which in my mind is a shame

I live in Baltimore City- about a mile from the mall that was looted a few years ago and about 1.5-1.8 depending on the route you take to the CVS that burnt down.

While I wont get into that whole debacle, I will say that I live in a nice neighborhood, but we are too close to main access roads. I routinely have drug deals on the side of my house, had to call the cops to take possession of crack rocks that they were hiding in my bushes this past summer, and the amount of prostitution that goes on is mind blowing. I have literally walked out to someone giving a blowjob on the hood of a car on the side of my house.

While I don't have any children, I do feel the need to have a shotgun in the house because I have no idea who is on the side of my house on the regular, and constantly wonder if someone is going to try to come in. It takes the police 30-55 mins to show up when you call for anything in my city. The gun makes me feel better about what might happen if someone would try to come into the house when me or my fiancé are there. We cant count on anything but ourselves, our big dog, and our neighbors so the gun for us is necessary even though we would much rather be without it.

I have been to Baltimore, about 20 years ago now so I’m sure its changed, but I was basically forced by the hotel to take a taxi from my hotel to the Memorial Stadium rather than walk, which was my plan. Best advice I think I ever had!

In situations like this I can 100% see the need for a weapon as protection. However, and this is not a criticism of you, it’s another example of more guns to counter violence and gun issues.

There appears to be no strategy, or even will, to address the bigger issues and at least try to change society so that you don’t feel the need to arm yourself to protect your family.

That surely has to be a better aim for everybody - improve the lives and prospects of the poorest and improve the safety of the community in doing so.

As alluded to above, guns are not the only problem, but they are a symptom and part of the issues, and it seems to me that this cannot or will not be accepted by many even as a possibility
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote