View Single Post
Old 01-15-2019, 11:44 AM   #103
revrew
Team Chaplain

SEASON 3: 2027 DRAFT:

Commissioner Gordon: With the 23rd overall pick of the 2027 draft, the Des Moines Dragons select offensive tackle, Roman Glover, Iowa State University.

Todd McShay: See? Why? Why! The Dragons are in desperate need of a wide receiver. They could use a quarterback who can throw and not just run. They need a pass rush. But they pass over receiver Jon Edwards out of Washington State, Grady Gibson out of Utah State – both better prospects and at a position of need. Why limit yourself to making bad decisions, just because those decisions are from Iowa?

Mel Kiper: In general, that critique may be accurate, but the value of Glover at this spot is spot on. The Dragons drafted tackle in the first round last year, and it wasn't exactly a home run. They still have needs on the Oline, and Glover could fill those needs. He's a solid technician, he seals the edge, and he moves defenders out of the way. It's not a stretch at all to take Glover at this spot. So, unless you want to argue they needed another position more, this is a good value pick.

Commissioner Gordon: With the 22nd pick of the second round of the 2027 draft, the Des Moines Dragons select safety, Manuel Pinkerton, University of Iowa.

Todd McShay: I give up. This is just insanity. The Dragons don't need a safety! Stupid pick.

Mel Kiper: Pinkerton is an instinctive, hard hitter with a nose for turnovers, both picking off the ball and blasting loose a fumble. But he's a bit of a tweener. His slow combine at the 40 confirmed what many scouts feared, that he could be more of a small linebacker than a true safety at the NFL level. Still, his production at Iowa may make him a better player than the combine numbers suggest.

Commissioner Gordon: With the 23rd pick of the fourth round of the 2027 draft, the Des Moines Dragons select Punter, Dylan Jefferson, University of California.

Todd McShay: Dragons don't need a punter either. Another stupid pick. They should just do what they did in the third and earlier fourth round, and trade away their picks for future prospects. Maybe in the future the Des Moines GM won't be a madman.

Commissioner Gordon: With the 22nd pick of the fifth round of the 2027 draft, the Des Moines Dragons select quarterback, Dakota Corriveau, University of Iowa.

Todd McShay: About time! The Dragons should have considered quarterback in the first round, but instead they wait until the fifth. And why did they wait? They waited because Iowa's quarterback wasn't worth more than a fifth!

Mel Kiper: Be that as it may, I had Corriveau higher on my board than many other scouts. The 220-pound quarterback has a quick release, a strong arm, and he shows good vision in making his reads. The raw skills are there to stick around in this league. What Corriveau needs, however, is to solidify his footwork and be more accurate and consistent in the short passing game. I know some projected him in the sixth or seventh, but I think this is actually an outstanding value pick at the bottom of the fifth.

Commissioner Gordon: With the 21st pick of the sixth round of the 2027 draft, the Des Moines Dragons select linebacker, Dustin Cable, University of Iowa.

Todd McShay: This late in the draft, you're looking at projects, guys who show upside you hope will develop. Cable was actually a feared player in the Big Ten for his relentless, passionate play. But he's also a single-focused player who committed many mental and coverage lapses. The question is, can the Dragons refine him into a spark plug?

Commissioner Gordon: With the 23rd pick of the seventh round of the 2027 draft, the Des Moines Dragons select wide receiver, Kaleb Lyon, University of Iowa.

Todd McShay: The Dragons need a playmaker at receiver. Should have drafted one much earlier. I doubt the slow-footed Lyon is going to make the impact they're hoping for.

DRAFT RECAP

1.23 LT Roman Glover (24/64)
2.22 SS Manuel Pinkerton (23/48)
3.21 – TRADE to San Diego for next year's 3rd and 4th
4.2 – TRADE to Seattle for QB Will Lang (8/37), a 7th rounder in last year's draft out of tiny Morningside College in Sioux City.
4.23 – P Dylan Jefferson (28/53), went to high school in West Des Moines
5.22 – QB Dakota Corriveau (11/36)
6.21 – OLB Dustin Cable (20/36)
7.23 – WR Kaleb Lyon (16/41)

Rated C+ draft
I came to the Crossroad. I took it. And that has made all the difference.
revrew is offline   Reply With Quote