View Single Post
Old 03-06-2019, 09:01 AM   #142
revrew
Team Chaplain

Dragons' Elias Reese wins NFL's Defensive Rookie of the Year
Dick Grayson, sports reporter, Des Moines Register

It didn't take long after the Des Moines Dragons selected Elias Reese with the 28th selection of last year's NFL rookie draft to know they had a "beast" on their hands.

"Reese is 288 pounds of pure animal," said Dragons Defensive Coordinator Andrew Hatchette after the first week of training camp. "I honestly believe by the end of this season, opposing offensive linemen will be frightened to see him put his hand in the dirt opposite them."

Indeed, by the end of the season, Reese had racked up 10.5 sacks and 20 quarterback hurries, the most combined by any rookie taken in last year's draft.

Playing with the 295-pound defensive end Ricardo Heuring on the other end of the line from Reese gave the Dragons the most punishing pass rush in the NFL. Collapsing the pocket from the opposite side, Heuring racked up 13.5 sacks, 16 hurries, and 19 QB knockdowns, earning him 2nd team All-Pro.

The combination of both sudden stars with run-stuffing stud and linebacker Dale Griffin patrolling the middle of the field has made the Des Moines Dragons' defensive front both young and dominating.

What's more, Hatchette doesn't believe Reese has yet reached his full potential.

"It's hard to believe sometimes he's just a rookie," Hatchette told the Register. "Physically, he's already so dominant. But there are pass rush moves he hasn't even tried out yet. There's so much he has to learn from watching tape and building experience. This kid has a very, very high ceiling."
I came to the Crossroad. I took it. And that has made all the difference.
revrew is offline   Reply With Quote