View Single Post
Old 11-20-2018, 10:50 AM   #1173
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
I have no idea how I screwed it up!

I tried posting below and link when I messed up the thread. So I'm just going to post the text and not a direct link.

Its an interesting thought re: gun control. The author concludes it won't work but I do wonder if it would help/prod along some additional gun control.

www.theroot.com
Quote:
... some have theorized that one way to force gun control is to pit the intersecting groups in the Venn diagram of conservatism against each other. The argument is, if black people started purchasing firearms in bulk, conservative racists (or is it “racist conservatives”? I get confused sometimes) might get so outraged at the thought of gun-toting Negroes that racism might overwhelm their natural predilection for firearms and cause them to support gun-reform laws.
:
The argument is not without merit. I’ve even said it before. White men have always been afraid of armed black people. The 14th Amendment, which guarantees equal protection under the law, was passed, in part, because during Reconstruction, the South was inundated with newly formed groups dedicated to disarming blacks. The most famous of these organizations was a fraternity of men who called themselves the Ku Klux Klan.
:
This makes the math seem simple: If black people arm themselves, America always figures out a way to disarm them through legislation. While no one doubts the strength of the American brand of racism, the theoretical use of America’s anti-black sentiment as a legislative, race-based Jedi mind trick ignores an important reality: It won’t work.
:
Although the prevailing narrative would have you believe that gun owners are against gun reform, they are not. There is only one entity preventing legislative gun reform, and it is not Republicans, white people or even gun owners.

It is the National Rifle Association.
:
Because of this, the NRA is not beholden to its rank and file. It has become the lobbying wing of the gun industry, and there is only one thing stronger than racism in America:

Greed.

The prospect of black people armed to the teeth is actually a good thing for the NRA because it is the de facto supplier of America’s addiction.
Edward64 is online now   Reply With Quote