View Single Post
Old 04-10-2021, 08:54 PM   #11
hoopsguy
General Manager

I mentioned that there were three tournaments with the EYBL team over December and January. AP also got some run in with a few kids from her now-past travelling team. That past program was still shut down over the winter season, but one of the father's told his daughter to handpick some kids and he would coach them in "One Day Shootouts" (OTS) in neighboring states. He was also able to secure some gym time at a nearby high school one night a week. So AP was still playing basketball a couple of days a week in February, this time against girls her own age. And she was a force, but the basketball definitely felt messy compared to what we were starting to get accustomed to with the EYBL kids. AP had already picked up some help line concepts, and you could just see the difference between her and the other kids in terms of guarding the ball. And the passing was noticeably worse. So. Many. Turnovers. But AP also got to play with a group of friends in games one last time, which was great. Right up until the part where she got hurt ...

AP has complained about minor aches from time to time, but nothing had ever carried over over weeks. That included a few scares on the court where I thought she was definitely injured and going to miss large chunks of time. This injury happened while annihilating probably the worst team that we played in the OTS. It was basically a lay-up line; their transition defense was atrocious. Except for the time that someone basically cross-checked AP late in the 2nd half with their team down 25. AP had been the passer rather than the finisher on most of the fast breaks, so I have zero reason to think it was personal. But she went down hard, picked herself up, and finished that game. Then played through a very physical game against a familiar foe in the 2nd game of the day.

Coming out of that weekend, she complained of hip pain at practice. And we saw it again at the tournament where she would attack the basket in open-court, land funny coming off contact with the defender, and grab her hip. The coaches pulled her, and we saw a trainer in advance of the following week ... the only "overnight" trip for a two-day tournament. AP was under orders to closely monitor the condition. I was unable to attend that weekend, which ate me up even before watching the videos.

First game, she is moving pretty well on defense, she is challenging shots, she is taking jumpers, all looks fine. Until she gets out on the break, lifts for a contested layup, and lands grabbing her hip. She is ready to get pulled, but on defense she forces a turnover and takes off again ... and the same thing happens, but this time a foul is called and AP is down.

Sits the remainder of game (they won), sits the 2nd game (they get creamed), tries to play again in 3rd game but is shut down with more pain pretty fast. And is in dress clothes for the final game.

So doctors appointment follows, and she was diagnosed with an apophyseal fracture iliac crest. Basically, muscle pulled off bone, likely owing to a combination of not being fully developed and some overuse. PT for five weeks, two days a week to help strengthen all the muscle groups around the one that is causing the pain.

So that was March, and really the first week of April. Last Wednesday night was AP's first night of practice where she wasn't operating under restrictions and tonight will be her first where they are running half/full court. I'm anxious on her behalf right now, waiting to talk to her at 10PM when they break and see how she made out.
hoopsguy is offline   Reply With Quote