View Single Post
Old 04-17-2021, 07:11 PM   #19
hoopsguy
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Reminds me of a kid back in my old hometown - son of an old schoolmate - who turned himself into the school's 4th ever 1,000 point scorer.

How does an undersized relatively slow kid with no really striking athletic feature do that? Repetition and dedication best I can figure.

He should have been born in 1950s Indiana sort of dedication. In the gym shooting before daylight year round kind of dedication.

He turned that into NAIA offers and, most importantly to him I believe, a chance to continue playing for another four years.

I'm not saying that's the path for your daughter, sounds like she has other stuff in her toolbox, but "consistent reps" should not be undervalued.

Yep, although my expectation is that we may be approaching a point in her development where many (if not most) of the kids are passionate enough to put work into their craft.

For our Friday night session, I had a couple of pretty simple additions to her usual shooting. First one was putting her on the foul line after she had worked up a lather, then told her she had to hit four straight before she could leave the foul line. It took a little while - the rims are really tight, so more or less have to swish them - but she definitely was more locked in on her form and that showed up in today's game. Second was to work on floaters a little bit. She tried one in a game this afternoon, and told me afterward that she will be ready to work harder with me on that shot as it was there for the taking in both games.
hoopsguy is offline   Reply With Quote