View Single Post
Old 04-25-2021, 10:02 PM   #37
hoopsguy
General Manager

And after the detailed write-up for the M-14 game, I'll give a very short one for the final game of the USJN regional tournament. We drew a Lady Lightning team that was not particularly good. We've seen a few different Lady Lightning iterations over the winter, and lost to one of them, but this was not that team. This was a rout, 61-18 in a game that was not competitive at any point in time.

Many of AP's former M-14 teammates came to see her play in this one, as they had just concluded their last game right before tip-off. We definitely enjoyed seeing a lot of friends at this event, and it was terrific for AP to have a vocal cheering section for the first half of this game. Nothing really of note here ... couple steals, boards, layups but it all felt anti-climactic.

So, a 2-2 record with close losses and blowout wins. I definitely did not see this as much of a confidence builder for the upcoming Boo Williams tournament. Knowing that we were going to be playing national teams, who had likely been together longer than us and probably not had their seasons upended quite as much as Illinois by pandemic protocols, I figured we would play our three pool games and be sent home. I'm thrilled to report that was not the outcome, and I do think the close losses in this weekend helped at Boo Williams.
hoopsguy is offline   Reply With Quote