View Single Post
Old 08-03-2013, 08:48 PM   #9
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Quote:
Originally Posted by w24olfpack View Post
I'm not talking about nerfs or the game engine or playability.

It's platform stability of all the things what work AROUND FOF that Im worried about, not the FOF engine itself.
Does Conscriptor still work? If so, does it output files in the same format.
Can I or do I still need to do an extractor.
Does DBUpdater work? Did it change the structure of the DB so something crashes.
Do we need batches. Do they work.

Those are the things we need to work through as a community.

We had issues when Windows versions change. The Program Files to Appdata change for security.

The folks who play in our leagues are as worried about consistency and a seamless switch as they are about the new engines. They will be patient with some hiccups. We all will be because we know they will happen. But how do we limit them in the first place.
I just noticed your join date. Didn't realize that. That's the missing piece here. You haven't been around for previous versions. Here's the reality:

Unless there's a massive, massive, massive, massive, earth-shattering change in the way Jim changes his file formats from one game to the next, NONE of the existing stuff is going to work out of the box.

Nada. Zip. Zero. Zilch.

Extractor will crash. DBUpdater will crash. Conscriptor won't get the files in the format it needs. The cap utility won't work. The stadium tool won't work. Nothing that reads FOF from either the front end or the back end will work.

The very best we can hope for is that the exports Jim does will be very similar to what the existing stuff is expecting and therefore it will be relatively easy to change stuff AND that either the people who write those utilities will be willing to change them or someone else will step up and do it. But I would place my money on the thought that *everything* will have to change. Everything.