View Single Post
Old 09-14-2011, 09:42 AM   #1
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

ATAS Braves Franchise

Now that I am finished with my Master's Degree, I've started looking into and playing some of my old games. I've played FPS Football, Decathlon, SOM, and SI Baseball (ATAS Baseball). It's been nice to waste time and play games again. I thought about doing another Decathlon because it wouldn’t take to long, and I even considered starting up one of my old dynasties (Dynasty League Baseball), but because the interest is lukewarm - not surprising after 4 years or so... (Travis and Deacon I still appreciate you chiming in and I might get to this at some point in the future to satisfy my own curiosity about the strength of our team), I think I’m going to write about the ATAS league I began playing.

Not sure how many of you are familiar with ATAS baseball…but it is basically the same game as Avalon Hill's SI Superstars Baseball (which many of you are also probably not familiar with). This game is sort of like Strat-o-Matic, but not as complex. Players are broken down statistically and cards are created for each player. Unlike Strat, where 1 roll either ends up on a pitcher’s or hitter’s card, SIBB allows the pitcher to roll to see if they get the batter out or walk him before the batter gets to see the outcome of their AB from their own card. I won’t bore you with any more details (I will answer questions if you are interested), but I thought having a basic understanding of the game mechanics might be helpful.

Anyway, the ATAS stands for All-Time All-Stars…and the game contains an All-Franchise team for each of the franchises. I have been playing around with this and I decided to play a full season as the manager of the Braves franchise. The league that I am playing in doesn’t have a team for every franchise, just the older ones. There are 4 extra teams, two consisting of players that were /are great that aren’t currently on one of those existing franchises, and two Negro League teams (I did a bunch of research on Negro Leaguers years ago and created these teams to augment players for an SIBB league that I was a part of, and I wanted to use them again).

I will let you know which teams the league has and what the rosters look like....

Last edited by Breeze : 09-14-2011 at 09:58 AM.
Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote