View Single Post
Old 04-19-2005, 09:18 AM   #3
QuikSand
lolzcat

2007 offseason

We enter the 2007 offseason with decisions to make. In particular, we have two very solid players without contracts – QB Hilton Boner and S Mark Carr. Boner is in his 14th season, and is a proven veteran for us, with a Superbowl MVP and the career lead in passing yards. Mark Carr is a nice 9th year player, who has played healthy for two seasons now and has posted solid, though not exceptional, results. I decide to franchise Carr, and let Boner go into free agency. Last season, Boner’s tag number was some $10 million, and I’m hoping that his age will keep him from being bid too heavily by anyone else, and that we can re-sign him at a reasonable price.

My gambit pays off – a few weeks into free agency, Hilton Boner inks a new deal to return to Chesapeake. He gets $6 million up front, but the first two years of his contract are at salary of $3 million – meaning our cap number for this year and next is only $5 million. That is meaningful relief compared to last season. Carr’s tag value is some $3.6 million, but I am optimistic that we will renegotiate a long term deal for him, which will also clear up some cap room this season.

In free agency, we manage to re-sign a player we picked up as a free agent last season, who is a perfect fit for our secondary. CB Ferdy Nave is a big hitter, but has excellent skills in man coverage and can make interceptions, so he projects to slide right into a starting job for us. CB has not been a team strength thus far – this guy fell right into our laps last year, and we’re thrilled to retain him.

Amidst the excitement of the draft, we opt to swing a deal, once again sending away all of our later round selections, along with next year’s first round pick. In exchange, we land another starting-caliber CB, in 11th year John Raab. Raab is also a perfect fit for our secondary’s style, and we again benefit (hopefully) from a team going through a bit of a purge. Raab comes to us very cheaply for this year, and affordably for two more – so this should sew up our CB needs for right away. In addition, my remaining draft pick in round one goes to a CB as well, as we target South Carolina coverman Billy Joe Scanlon with our selection. I’m optimistic that with this rebuild of our coverage squad, we will be better than ever against the pass.

As I write, we are nearly halfway through the initial 2-stage free agency process, and somewhere in round two of the rookie draft. We are basically done with both – have no more draft picks and no intention of moving back into the draft, and save for a few “filler” players, aren’t making any major pursuits of free agents. If a meaningful player shakes loose, we may move in, but for now, I think the roster for this season is starting to come together.

Next, I will review the roster as it stands – and try to give a flavor for this team right now.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote