View Single Post
Old 04-29-2005, 08:48 AM   #28
QuikSand
lolzcat

Late Free Agency Begins

After the first round of free agency, we have a little news.

First, we welcome in an undrafted rookie punter to compete for the starting job. Back in about the fifth round of the draft, I openly mused “You know, I wouldn’t mind having a punter named ‘Spoilsport’.” Well – now, I have my chance. Spoilsport Earhart is aboard for a rookie minimum salary (two year deal) and will compete with Donovan Embry for the starting duties. My scout rates Embry as 34/42 (making $310,000 on the second year of a URAF contract) and Embry as 26/59 making $230,000. With the nickname working for him, Spoilsport is the leader for the job, I reckon.

I have an offer in for veteran kicker Tyler Gambill as well. The 7th year kicker is has been pretty effective in his career, with 73.7% on FGs, and 100% on PATs. However, I am up against a big contract, it seems – Las Vegas is offering him a five year deal worth over $9 million, and under league rules that means it must have at least $1.8 million in signing bonus. I can’t imagine paying millions in bonus to a kicker… just doesn’t fit with my way of doing business. So, it looks like we will miss out on him – I may look through the rookie rubble and see if there’s someone who would be an improvement on Donald Mizer (77.6 FG%, but rated only 30/30).

The early signs are that 5th round draft pick S Adrian Walker is going to be a bust… so we’ll have a decision ahead whether to even offer him a contract. I may leave him unsigned through training camp, and make the decision afterward. He looks like one of those typical guys whose future potential ratings make him look fairly attractive -- he has future ratings in the 75-100 range for man and bump coverages and is rated overall a 14/40. But the usual career path sees him declining, and after a couple of years he’ll look like about 17/25 and not worth a damn. We’re already over our roster limit and safely under the salary cap, so it’s not like we’re scrambling for depth on this club.

A similar case in point with CB Donovan Snyder – a guy I considered with my 5th round pick, but passed on. He has some nice skills, and my scout rates him as 12/42. I have a bid in, but a bigger bid is in from Fritz’s French Ticklers. My best guess is that Snyder, too, will be the handful of sand, and in time will wither away to nothing. I don’t think I need to make any investment – certainly not a guaranteed investment – in a guy like him, so we’ll probably watch him head to the Ozarks.

We are one of several teams bidding for the services of FB Bob Parise, a guy I like but who is an obvious FA target. Our team has three fullbacks already – it would be very hard to justify making roster space for Parise. But, if we land him, we’ll give him a look – he’s got good pass blocking skills and might make a decent TE if we picked him up.

We have a few more rookie bids in as well – but nothing really worthy of profiling, at least until we land the players. My socks have not been knocked off by anyone in this undrafted rookie crop.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote