View Single Post
Old 05-03-2005, 07:40 AM   #32
QuikSand
lolzcat

Late Free Agency drags on

Following one more sim, we have gotten through two more stages of the late free agency process.

I was denied in my effort to land a solid free agent kicker – since we had some cap room this year, I put in an offer for about $1.1 million – half of it bonus. However, it turns out he received a fat offer from Las Vegas which included $1.75 in bonus money over a five year deal. It would never occur to me to pay that kind of money to a kicker (especially one like him who looks good, but not really exceptional) and we will settle for the riffraff we have, it seems.

We did land two more undrafted rookies on the defensive line:

DT Gabe Shah actually looks like a better pass rusher than run stopper, so if he sticks, it would probably be to play at the DE position more than at DT. My scout likes what he sees – even though we are fairly deep along the DL, we can’t build exclusively from aging veterans, so Shah might have a shot to stick.

DE Edgar Welch is probably not heavy enough to comfortably move to DT, but his run stopping skills are probably his best asset. Actually, his best skills are in the incidentals for the position – endurance and punishing hitter. I don’t really know what a player with these primary skills accomplishes on the field – indeed, I don’t really understand the “punishing hitter” rating at all, to be honest. My scout likes Welch a bit, too – but I think it will be even tougher for him to stick than for Shah.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote