View Single Post
Old 05-05-2005, 11:07 AM   #34
QuikSand
lolzcat

Training Camp

I had a bad day to be completely away from my computer and the FOFL boards, and therefore ended up without a training camp submission. Life goes on – I usually don’t have a lot of deep thinking at that stage anyway (unlike back in the old days of FOF 2001, where I always felt like that was a meaningful contribution to the team setup).

So, the main thing with training camp is watching your players – specifically younger players – to see if there are signs of good or bad things yet to come.

So this year – we get some decent news, but nothing earth-shattering. With eyes on our top draft pick, still unsigned CB Billy Joe Scanlon, his ratings did not move. However, our later draft pick S Adrian Walker has proven to be a total clown – and we will probably not even offer him a contract. We did see this coming, though – so no real surprise there.

Among our other rookies – we are going to have some difficulty deciding what to do with our defensive line. I liked DT Gabe Shah coming into camp, but DE Edgar Welch actually had a better training camp. There was no guaranteed roster spot for either guy – so to make room, we’d have to release a veteran player (who could do more for us right away). I am a bit worried that this team, without making many draft picks ach year, doesn’t have much of a farm team to fall back on – but the problem is that by relying on veterans for most of our playing time, we won’t be able to develop young players too well anyway. It’s a bit of a catch-22, actually.

We did get an interesting bump from another player who’s going to cause problems – RB David Smith. He was a guy I picked up to compete for the HB duties back before we acquired FB Morimasa – but since the deal, I had fully expected to see Smith be a post-camp casualty. Now, David Smith actually had a minor veteran bump in training camp – he boosted by +1/+1, according to my scouts. Not a huge move, but it might be enough reason to keep an eye on him, and perhaps we could be open to keeping Smith and releasing longtime C-Dog Jeffrey Burnley.

I don’t think we got enough out of QB Chris Tamm or G Albert Neiman to expect them to stick. Other than that, a very predictable set of camp results – most of our young players continued their development, and we look to be in decent cap shape in case something shakes loose among the post-camp roster cut-downs.

We have 63 players on the roster right now – so we need to make a first round of cut-downs to get to the 60-player limit for the exhibition season. The casualties are:

QB Chris Tamm
LG Albert Neiman
P Spoilsport Earhart (terrible camp, scout ratings dropped by –8)
DE Randolph Gritton

(We cut four, so in case our contract offer to CB Scanlon goes through, we will remain within the 60-contract limit)
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote