View Single Post
Old 11-20-2016, 11:08 AM   #563
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Thanks! Interesting advice on the juniors thing, I may consider that for my next player.

I took a look at Mateo Kaspar out of curiosity. As of wk. 4 he's ranked 57th. A tad on the low side in terms of talent but fantastic endurance will definitely more than make up for that. Grades out at 7.92 right now. Definitely looks like another young player with massive potential. He has just recently maxed out athletically, and it'll be interesting to see how he's handled the next couple of years. I would definitely expect him to make the French forget about Bourdet & Poilblan rather quickly!

World Team Cup, Group 2, First Round
Sri Lanka(1st) vs. Germany(4th), Hardcourt

Monday: P. Mooljee d. J. Boller, 6-1, 6-0, 6-0
Tuesday: G. Girsh d. D. Moicevic, 6-3, 6-3, 6-3
Wednesday: H. Arendt/A. Olejarz d. S. Ujjaval/H. Ganeshwaran, 6-2, 6-2, 6-3
Thursday: P. Mooljee d. D. Moicevic, 6-2, 6-4, 7-6(5)
Friday: G. Girsh d. J. Boller, 6-2, 6-1, 6-1

Sri Lanka defeats Germany, 4-1!

Our typical win in singles, lose in doubles pattern gets the new year off to a proper start. Germany has a couple of fairly good improving but not-quite-there players as they adapt to life without Benda, and Boller has a bizarre set of surface abilities -- he's actually worst by far on hardcourt and posed no threat here, preferring clay. Whether they can get past Spain and advance, which interestingly will be on grass which isn't the favorite of either nation, remains to be seen.

We get the Spaniards next, indoors, and that should wrap up the group for us with China last as an afterthought.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote