View Single Post
Old 03-16-2017, 10:49 PM   #324
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Let’s take a look at FA!

Roster Needs:

Backup – RBx2, TE, OT/G, S
Starter – Maybe WR, OG, maybe OT for Valle, Maybe CB if Cook can’t rise to the occasion now that Felker dropped
LS

Let’s look at the draft first. Anyone there for my needs? OG? WR? OT? CB? This is a S and CB heavy draft. I find a few OTs I like too. I’d be happy to take a Axel Kelley here at 1.31. They won’t all be mega-hits who fall, like a Cook or a Kelley, but you can still uncover talent. Actually, about 4 OGs I like too. And the 4th WR on the board is sexy too after I interview him. We should have options. Back to FA

I have 30 mill in cap space, 18 mill to sign stuff.

Now I am lucky. How? Great question! Well, the year after my Duzy/Jacobs selections of awesomeness, I didn’t have any major players I drafted. Here are the ones entering their final year:

SE Holbert
C McCarthy
OG Banks
LB Shea
FS Allen

None of those are must-signs. All of those have disappointed to one degree Banks and McCarthy, or another, Holbert not growing enough. Here is what they would each want

SE Holbert – 4 years, 43 mill
C McCarthy - years, 9 mill
OG Banks – 2 yeas, 3 mill
LB Shea – 82 mill, 5 years - nope
FS Allen – 2 years, 6 mill

Now, Shea wants a ton of cash for just being good, but he really didn’t play like it. He’s a 73/73 ILB I got in the 2.23 spot because he fell, and I play him a lot, but he’s more of a tackling run-stopper with some value elsewhere. Now, if he wanted 5-6 mill a year, I’d sign him. But there is no way that I can pay him that money. I could trade him while he’s hot. A 4th year LB that good? I should, ideally, have people feasting from the generosity of my hands. I shop him

In 2036, a few years down the road, I trade my 3rd rounder and Shea for the Vikings 1st rounder. Shea is young, he’s the 8th best LB in the league, you can lock him down for a while. That’s pretty saucy for Minnesota,, and they drop back two rounds to get him.

Right now I have Crawford free, and I could make a play for him in FA, and then keep my options open in the draft

I resign a few of my RFA. I’d like to resign Gardener, but dude wants real money, like 6 mill over 3 years.

I make an offer to Brad Stepanovic, a great 98 snapping LS.

Week 4 – Crawford heads to {Pittsburgh. He wanted too much cash.

Week 8 – Gibbons heads to Texans for 3 years, 36 mill

Week 10 – Our LS Target signs

Time for drafting!

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote