View Single Post
Old 04-19-2021, 06:53 AM   #212
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
I have to think they have a avenue for this to succeed or else it wouldn't have happened.

Also - I know nothing about professional soccer - but reports are that the fans hate this. Explain this one to me. If, say, Alabama, Georgia, LSU, Ohio State, Michigan, Notre Dame, Texas, Oklahoma, USC, and Oregon (I dunno - you get the idea even if the teams aren't perfect) went off to form a 10 team "Super League" in college football, their fans would be a little sad to be lose out on some rivalries but, really, they'd be more like "eff you, Auburn/Texas A&M/Florida State/Penn State - we got ours and your leagues suck now; should have been better so you could join the big boys".

SI

I think this is actually a good comparison. I think what you are saying underestimates the value of the local rivalry in both sports in a similar way that others overestimate it when it comes to the College Football Playoffs. Just using the teams that you chose, Ohio State and Michigan matter to the College Football Playoffs because of the Big Ten in the same way Manchester United and Liverpool matter to the European Super League because of the EPL. We have seen Alabama and Clemson or even Alabama and OSU a few times over the last 10-15 years. No one believes either one of those matchups matter to the Crimson Tide fan base as much as the Auburn matchup.

There is an avenue to a Super League but that would require a minimum of getting rid of competitions that many of the bigger clubs don't really care about and probably going as far as leaving UEFA/FIFA altogether.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote