View Single Post
Old 04-19-2021, 02:52 PM   #241
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
I have to think they have a avenue for this to succeed or else it wouldn't have happened.

Also - I know nothing about professional soccer - but reports are that the fans hate this. Explain this one to me. If, say, Alabama, Georgia, LSU, Ohio State, Michigan, Notre Dame, Texas, Oklahoma, USC, and Oregon (I dunno - you get the idea even if the teams aren't perfect) went off to form a 10 team "Super League" in college football, their fans would be a little sad to be lose out on some rivalries but, really, they'd be more like "eff you, Auburn/Texas A&M/Florida State/Penn State - we got ours and your leagues suck now; should have been better so you could join the big boys".
If Notre Dame and Oregon are 4-6 in November every year no one gives a fuck those losses are to Alabama, Clemson, etc. Just like Tottenham/Juventus in the Champions League is awesome, but no one is going to care about watching Tottenham & Juventus in March when they're both 12th in the table & under .500

You don't even need to ban players from international teams (and I'd be really opposed to anything that did that without grandfathering in contracts already signed), just ban the teams from your domestic leagues & cups & we'll see how many fans they'll have when they have 5 straight losing seasons. Real/Barca will be fine, the rest? Idk... and even the big English ones like Man U & Liverpool I can't imagine the supporters would be real happy if it's a choice between playing domestic teams (and enjoying that superiority) or this league unless they're in the hunt.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote