View Single Post
Old 02-19-2019, 02:13 PM   #27
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodgerchick View Post
Omg, don't give up!! One of the things about.meditation is this stigma that if your mind isn't blank, you're doing it wrong. In my meditation retreat, I was also extremely frustrated and felt that I didn't get it. The instructor said, and it really stuck, that whatever is happening, is right. It's supposed to be happening. In Dan Harris's book, he also talks about his frustration at 'not doing it right'. Seriously, there's no such thing. It's called practice for a reason.

It'll click for you, like it did for me and so many others. Believe me, you're not alone. If thoughts come to you, be kind to yourself.

Well, my level of frustration is not particularly high, so this is nothing unhealthy

I'm in a weird place where I suspect that meditation could improve my life, but I have no real driving need to use it at the moment. I don't have anger management problems, and I'm pretty low-stress (though work lately has been testing that theory). Combine that with being extraordinarily busy (something planned or scheduled almost every evening of the week, every week), and it's hard to fit meditation in.

As I said though - I don't think this "excuses" me from meditation, just that the impediments to it combined with a knowingly ill-conceived notion that I'm "doing it wrong" add up to a difficulty in giving it a serious effort.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote