View Single Post
Old 03-12-2017, 03:56 PM   #254
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

We have the #2 pick, and then alternative back and forth with Arizona 1 and 2 each round....but... we traded our 2nd rounder to San Diego, our 3rd to Cleveland and our 7th to Dallas.

So we just have four picks this round at 1.2, 4.1, 5.2, and 6.1. This was not a good year to trade those 2 and 3s. Do I want to target the 1.2 for a high quality player? Or would trading down and picking up some more picks make more sense? We are not 1 top flight 1.2 player away from competing, right?

FA Time –

I sign these RFAs – MLB Lujan, RB Gerhardt, and SS Franz

I have a ton of cap space right now, but my biggest contracts are about to be signed...

DE Nicky Cobb – 5 years, 84 mill

NT Lenny Sterne, 4 years, 32 mill

CB Derek Felker, 4 years, 15 mill

TE Walter Perrone, 4 years, 11.5 mill

All of those were drafted in the same year, the only major injection of young talent we have here.

I extend LS Zirn for a year; FS Sanford by a year, SS Tatum by one, and while I live where CB Henderson played, he wants serious starter money and a big deal, so I hold off for now.

Any of my rookies boom after a year of play? Or bust further?

Crawford is 54/61, Carlisle 36/58, Sanderson, 52/57, Lane 39/49. Nah. I was hoping maybe Sanderson would rise up or something. But that was clearly dreaming on my part

Time for FA action. Again, not the biggest and highest profile class ever...

Who do I like:

P Rob Emerson, my stud P from Cleveland was let go, signed by the Broncos, and now is free. He’s 65/65 these days, and pricey. Another 65/65 guy, Luther, is available. But also pricey.

The best player is 29 year old 67 CB Middleton, but he injured is ACL and is still out for 11 weeks, and he’s pricey tooooo. Now he wants 4 years and 63 mill. Would I take a flyer on him later in the FA process and when his price drops? Sure. If I have the cap room.

Who else?

SE Rodney Riley is free from Cleveland. They let him go. But I’m fine for WR

RB Diego Lorey from Cleveland is also let free, and to be fair is 31.

I offer a 4 year, 13 mill deal to FS Cornelius Kaplan, the best S in FA

Backup Rod Divirgilio, 1 year deal for 1.3 mill

P Luther Michi, from Matewan, WV

That’s it. Most of the talent here are at places we are fine like RB and D Line and WR.

Week 2 – Diego Lorey heads to New England

Baltimore made an odd choice and tossed 5 years and 95 mill at Middleton a 29 year old CB with an ACL injury. Bizarre.

Week 3 – We sign LT Divirglio. WR Riley heads to San Francisco

Week 4 – We sign FS Cornelius Kaplan

That gives us a 56/56 Kaplan, and 35/56 OT that can be emergency starters or really high quality backups in case I move that way in the draft.

Now what?

Let’s look at the draft first:

Studs in order of stud-ship

DE
RT-ish
RCB-ish
RT-ish
WLB
RCB-ish
LT-Ish
QB ish
RG
RG

I interview a bunch of top talent. The best, ironically, is WLB Randall Flemming, underrated, absolutely house of a player. But there are a lot of quality players we could wind up with in case I trade down.

So let’s head back to FA and finish up.

Week 7 – WR Giovanni Moss heads to Denver.

Week 9 – We sign our P.

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote