View Single Post
Old 09-04-2011, 01:15 AM   #9
Izulde
Head Coach

While everyone is dreaming of Rufus Heath becoming the greatest UNLV QB since Randall Cunningham, let's not forget the other catches we landed this week.

TE Richie Springer Profile
Height/Weight: 6'4, 216
Hometown: Sparks, NV
High School: Sparks (9 Athletic/19 Academic)
GPA: 2.36 (Just made the cut)
SAT:878
Intended Major: Algebra

National Rank: 386
National Pos: 16
State Rank: 4
State Pos: 1
Nevada All-State
Scouting: 94- (Good)
Strength: Yard After Catch/Weakness: Catching in Traffic

He'll be in the mix at TE his first year, but Peter Prescott has been more than adequate filling in for Junior Spindler, whose college career ended after 3 games. My hunch is Prescott stays the starter in his senior year and Springer will probably redshirt.

DT Brant Dacosta Profile
Height/Weight: 6'2, 249
Hometown: Waukesha, WI
High School: Waukesha South (35 Athletic/28 Academic)
GPA: 2.63
SAT: 987
Intended Major: Astronomy

National Rank: 735
National Pos: 64
State Rank: 19
State Pos: 3
Wisconsin All-State
Scouting: 67- (Decent)
Strength: Rushing the Passer/Weakness: Defending the Run

Actually projects more as a DE by my lights and he'll probably get moved there. Nowhere near the appeal of the other guys, to be honest, which is why we were the only non-WIAC school to pursue him. I'm surprised we got him, truth be told.

DE Mo Dillon Profile
Height/Weight: 6'1, 213
Hometown: Malibu, CA (3 Athletic/70 Academic)
High School: Malibu
GPA: 3.51
SAT: 1285
Intended Major: Economics

National Rank: 794
National Pos: 68
State Rank: 93
State Pos: 9
Scouting: 61+ (Pretty Good)

I think Mo has more upside than Dacosta, assuming Bryant switches. But that Athletic Prep also has me thinking that of the two, Mo will be redshirted since we're not losing any DEs.

That brings us to 8 committed players, or half our class. We have 6 other offers out there, so we've a couple spots open, even more if we withdraw our offers to a couple of our fallback options at QB and DE.

DT Lawrence Coles from Fairfax, VA gets an offer, as does DT Colin Money from Forest Grove, OR. T Rickey Schmitz from Manchester, NH becomes our third new recruit. We're going to stick with our backup redline being the backup QB.

Visits
QB Bert Greene - also visiting Oregon State
DE Daniel Vance - Final Five of Central Michigan, Colorado, Eastern Michigan, UNLV, and Western Michigan.

ILB Neil Lyon - Final Five of Colorado, Mississippi, UCLA, UNLV, Virginia Tech
OLB Erik Emmons - Final Four of Fresno State, Mississippi, San Diego State, and UNLV
OLB Martin Butler - Four visits so far - Syracuse, UNLV, UW-Stevens Point, and UW-Stout

I'm betting Greene goes Oregon State unless someone better jumps in. Central Michigan or Colorado for Vance. Colorado, UCLA, or Virginia Tech for Lyon. Ole Miss for Emmons. Syracuse for Butler.

No games this week.

Slow week compared to last week's bonanza, with 3 emails.

DE Daniel Vance... chooses Eastern Michigan.
ILB Neil Lyon... CHOOSES UNLV!!!
OLB Martin Butler... chooses UW-Stout.

...Ouch. That's a kick in the teeth to lose an OLB to a WIAC school. But the best news is, we convinced a local kid to stay in town.

ILB Neil Lyon Profile
Height/Weight: 6'3, 203
Hometown: Las Vegas, NV
High School: Durango (25 Athletic/90 Academic - Hahaha!)
GPA: 3.68
SAT: 1387
Intended Major: Computer Science

National Rank: 292
National Pos: 20
State Rank: 2
State Pos: 2
Nevada All-State
Scouting: 65++
Strength: Zone Defense/Weakness: Intercepting Passes

The reason for my laughter - Clark County is notorious for having one of the worst school districts in the country. It's one of the major reasons why UNLV has to structure their introductory composition courses the way they do, because the quality of education in CCSD is so wretched.

That aside, I love this kid and his high consistency motor. I think he's going to be one of the best players out of his cohort here when he's done. True freshman starter? That I don't know about. I do know I am very quietly excited about this kid. I see him as a great MLB.

Week 11
-Washington and Boston College are horning in on QB Bert Greene. This could be the second straight redline exemption the Huskies steal from us. He visits both.
-T Rickey Schmitz final fives Michigan, Tulsa, UNLV, Vanderbilt, and West Virginia. Very odd list there, but I'm putting money down on the Wolverines.
-DT Colin Money final five of Boston College, Miami, Oklahoma, Tennessee, and UNLV. My gut says Miami or Oklahoma, but I feel like we might have a chance.

9 and we'd be at 14 if all accepted. So two spots open for sure. I feel like we could upgrade our kicking game so P Ben Norris from Grand Island, NE is offered along with K Seth Fuller from Kaneohe, HI. Neither one is great; in fact Norris is 70--, but what the hell?

vs Wyoming 1-7 (0-4) (-18)
If we lose to the Pokes, I will cry like a little bitch. This is our best opportunity of the season to get bowl eligible and stay ahead of Air Force for third place in the Mountain West, as both Utah and Colorado State are still undefeated in the conference.

...The only thing you need to know - We turn the ball over 3 times and Wyoming runs for 307 yards on us.
Wyoming 45 UNLV 28

Two games left. @ Colorado State and vs San Diego State. Win either of those games and we finish with a winning record and bowl eligibility. Lose both and we're toast.

5 emails.

ILB Leland Smolka wants a scholarship since he's been starting. That's fair and I'll give it to him. A couple injury recoveries, which is cool and all.

K Seth Fuller... chooses Louisiana Tech.
OLB Erik Emmons... CHOOSES UNLV!!!

That slow exhale you just heard was me relieved that our OLB situation won't be total shit next year when our starting seniors graduate.

OLB Erik Emmons Profile
Height/Weight: 6'4, 229
Hometown: Antioch, CA
High School: Antioch (23 Athletic/48 Academic)
High School Teammate: OLB Daniel Norton (Starting OLB)
GPA: 2.79
SAT: 954
Intended Major: Hotel Management (Ironically only 42 in this universe, when it should be 100 if it reflected reality)

National Rank: 721
National Pos: 40
State Rank: 90
State Pos: 7
California All-State
High School All-American

Scouting: 88-- (Poor)
Strength: Man-to-Man/Weakness: Zone

I know Emmons may not be all he's cracked up to be, but hell, you can't argue with our second High School All-American of the class, and I'm loving the idea that he and Norton have this lineage of Antioch HS OLBs suiting up for UNLV. He'll probably be an immediate starter, simply because we have nothing else there.

Week 12
-T Leland Wolflick is down to a final four of Ole Miss, Tennessee, Texas A&M, and us after dropping Notre Dame from consideration.
-T Rickey Schmitz cuts it to Michigan, us, and West Virginia. He told me last week he was going to be a Wolverine, but we've been down that road before.
-QB Bert Greene finalizes a five of Boston College, Clemson, Oregon State, us, and Washington. I don't see any way he signs with us - everyone's still gaga over Rufus Heath here.
-P Ben Norris declares a final three of Central Michigan, Memphis, and us, heartbroken because his dream school of Nebraska didn't offer. I think we have this one pretty much in the bag.

What haven't we filled yet? Oh yeah, CB. Problem being, by this late stage in the game, there's very slim pickings. Still, CB Tommie Poore from Yakima, WA, gets an offer. Heh, fitting name.

@ Colorado State - 5-4 (4-1) (-1) (Regional TV)
Can't believe it, but we're favored by one. The Rams got their asses reamed 42-10 by Utah last week and the oddsmakers evidently think they're in still enough of a funk that we can win. I don't like the odds. I think CSU is going to come out pissed off and looking to take it out on us while guaranteeing they're bowl-eligible.

We're down 24-21 going into the fourth quarter and then they just bury us. Some great tackling by our boys, but I'm too depressed to post the players and the stats. Three straight losses and our fourth television loss of the year. At least we kept it close until the final quarter for this one.
UNLV 28 Colorado State 41

Three big recruit emails come in.

T Rickey Schmitz... chooses Michigan.
T Leland Wolflick... chooses Texas A&M.
P Ben Norris... chooses UNLV.

Yeah. I'm not excited about Norris, but I'll post his info up anyway.

P Ben Norris Profile
Height/Weight: 6'1, 185
Hometown: Grand Island, NE
High School: Grand Island (17 Athletic/96 Academic)
GPA: 3.88
SAT: 1415
Intended Major: English

National Rank: N/A
National Pos: 42
State Rank: 8
State Pos: 1
Nebraska All-State
Scouting: 70-- (Good)

Definitely the least exciting of all our recruits, but considering P Hunter Porter is averaging a horrible 30.9 yards a punt and has only 5/43 inside the 20, we needed to invest in somebody, and we could do a lot worse than Norris.

We're now 0-3 in attempting to get OTs. That's not good.

Week 13
-QB Bert Greene narrows it down to Clemson, Oregon State, and us. I'll go with the Tigers here.
-DT Colin Money is now down to Miami, Oklahoma, Tennessee, and us. Hurricanes or Sooners, probably Sooners.
-CB Tommy Poore, who desperately wants to play for Washington, visits us. UW-Stout is the only other school to even contact him.

We're down to garbage at T, but it's what we need to go with. T Charles Ashcraft of Whitefish, MT gets an offer, as does G Leon Hubert of Sturgeon Bay, WI.

@ San Diego State - 2-8 (1-5) (-6)
Simply put, our entire season comes down to this game. Win and we probably go bowling. Lose and it's a huge collapse down the stretch.

...2 point OT loss. Okay, I'm stepping away from my computer before I fucking break the thing.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote