View Single Post
Old 11-25-2018, 04:44 AM   #193
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

The kid picked up Black Ops 4 Thursday night, which meant I was required to play at least a bit of both traditional MP modes and the new Blackout mode (aka COD Fortnite).

The most interesting part of the experience to me is that, honestly, I think maybe too much was made of Blackout. Yeah, it's essentially viewed (right or wrong) as the reason they didn't bother with the single player campaign this go 'round & that's perfectly valid to criticize. For me at least, the furor over COD-PUBG had me expecting -- again, right or wrong -- a diminished traditional multiplayer experience.

I don't like the UI, I'm not crazy about some other choices they made with regard to those modes either, but at the very core of them at least they were still familiar & largely felt ... intact.

Take that fwiw, I mention it mostly in case anyone else had gotten the impression I described.

edit to add: Oh, as for Blackout itself. I'd basically call it Fortnite Lite. Feels a lot more casual to me, and removes the obnoxious build-at-the-speed-of-light requirement to be a top player. Top 20-30 finishes (which, granted, basically earn you nothing) was possible for me within just a few plays, despite having yet to record a single kill. And every death was pretty straightforward, I knew why I died, I knew what I did wrong (and a few things I did right), it just made more sense to me. I'm not a fan of the mode/genre in general & it's unlikely I ever will be, but I didn't feel the urge to throw shit at the TV (unlike Fortnite).

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 11-25-2018 at 04:49 AM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote