View Single Post
Old 04-21-2009, 04:49 AM   #664
Radii
Head Coach

January 19, 2019

#8 Florida State (12-1, 2-1 ACC) at Marylnd (14-6, 1-2 ACC)

Maryland is unranked but talented. They are rated very similar to us. 89 OVR (87 off/89 def/89 sht/93 reb/91 coach).

Maryland has back to back losses to Duke and North Carolina coming into their game with us. Some of their non-conference losses are a bit inexplicable, a 12 point loss at home to an 8-8 Idaho. They have one high quality win, a road win over #20 Kentucky.

Scouting

PG Galen Valsin – JR – 84 OVR – 11 ppg/5.8 apg. 93 speed/90 quicks. 93 handling/79 passing... much better with the ball but not terrible passing really. 83 close/85 med/70 3. 83 off the dribble, 79 clutch(B+). He has great awareness, very close to coach on the floor quality.

SG AC Summers – SR – 87 OVR – Summers is the star of the team, averaging 17 ppg. He's projected as a lottery pick. 90 speed/94 quickness. 85 defense/84 steals. A solid ball handler. 92 close/75 med/77 3/87 off the dribble/87 in traffic. A great clutch shooter s well. A serious athlete with some solid abilities with the ball. We can't sag too far off him but it would appear he's much bigger threat going to the basket than anything.

SF Marvin Haigler – JR – 87 OVR – 6'7” natural SF. Outstnding defender for SF. 86 def/77 stl(A-/B+). He's a solid rebounder and post player as well. 91 close/84 med/78 3, 86 in traffic. He's a great athlete. B- vert/A- str/B hustle. Haigler averages 12 points/game, 2nd on the team, a legit threat. Also rated 87 OVR midway through his junior year he could be one of the top players in the ACC next season, someone to remember.

PF warren Cain – FR – 75 OVR – 6'9” - natural SF. 68 orb/78 drb. 65 post off/71 post def. 81 close/88 in traffic. His other stats aren't all that great either, poor shooter, not the best athlete in the world. Hopefully pugh has a huge edge here.

C Corey Hudson – FR – 75 OVR – 6'10” - natural PF. 88 orb/78 drb. 80 post off/77 post def. Terrible shot blocker. 88 close/86 in traffic. 6.8 ppg/5.7 rpg. A 3* recruit who will develop some but won't ever be a superstar, and right now is just a young kid. Good sign for us.

Backup SG Devon Tyler is rated 81 OVR and is a fairly strong player. That's their only other guy rated in the 80s. So they have 3 extremely good players but not a ton of depth and no inside game. Hopefully these holes are big enough for us to be able to take advantage and get a road win.

Half
Time
FSU
UMD
Notes
14:30
Even start, Locklier(our center) has our first 8 points, consistently getting great position inside, I'm not running plays for him specifically but he is getting good deep position so I keep breaking out of my offense to feed him. Summers with steal in the backcourt and a dunk for the other 2.
13:25
Maryland with a timeout, only the second time the clock stopped all game(Locklier has 1 foul). Watson is really struggling near the basket, two missed shots in close, which was also a problem vs Ga Tech. Crosswhite hasn't even taken a shot, though this is primarily due to our success inside. Backups are in
11:45
Mrylnd goes up 2, then Duncan hits a 3(our first 3 pointer of the day), we get a turnover and Weisse with a 3 point play going to the hoop. The Terps call their 2nd timeout.
9:30
I notice in this stretch that Weisse is a coach on the floor today... the first time i've ever had one, even with confidence boosts. I have team unity effects turned down(but not off) so I'm not sure how much consideration this is worth. He happens to be on fire too, he's got 8 points now. Timeout #3 for Maryland as we take a 7 point lead.
6:55
After taking a 10 point lead they score 4 straight and I get a timeout to get the starters back in. Haigler is the only Terp hurting us so far I believe. He has 7.
4:45
Locklier with a reach in, his 2nd foul. We get Crosswhite on the board with a drive on our first play with the starters back in. They're running a 1-2-2 zone and we've taken a couple 3's from the wings, Summers hit one.

HALF
Crosswhite is 1-4 from 3, missing 3 open 3's in the final four minutes before finally sinking one as time expired in the half. Locklier is the star of the half for us though as he has 13 points on 6-6 shooting(1-1 at the line on 3 point play). Weisse with 8 off the bench, Summers/Crosswhite with 7 each. Crosswhite has 4 assists as well.

Haigler exploded for them, scoring their final 8 points of the half, ending up with 15. Valsin and Summers have 2 each and have not plying well at all. No one else has more than 4 for them. Each team committed 5 fouls in the half, 2 on locklier for us, and 2 on their center, Hudson. There is no foul trouble anywhere else.

It feels like we're nicely in control. It would probably take Summers going off in the 2nd half for them to get back in it... or us just going totally cold everywhere.
15:30
Timeout Maryland. Crosswhite hit 3 on our first play of the half and I thought he might go off for a lot of points to open the half, but he went cold after that. Maryland plays great transition defense, I tried to force it with Crosswhite couple times and they stopped him. No matter as the rest of the team is playing well. Except for Pugh who can't hit anything, weird since I figured he had the best matchup.
12:10
Backups are in. Locklier has a career high with 20 points already(previous high was 18).
7:10
Maryland cuts it as low as 14, led mainly by their center Hudson who seems to be owning our backup big men. Delic with a hook shot inside to get it back to 16 and Maryland with a timeout.
6:20
Buckets by Weisse and Shiloh make it 20 again, Starters are back in. I called for the starters before our 4 straight, I'll likely get the backups the final few minutes to avoid injuries.

Hah, so much for bringing the backups back in. Crosswhite got hot from 3 and he's a lot of fun to shoot with when he heats up, so yeah...

Florida State 85
Maryland 63

They get 22 from Haigler. Backup guard Tyler has 11, and Hudson puts up 9 points/11 boards for a pretty solid day. But they were just 5-18 from 3 and their backcourt stars Summers and Valsin scored 6 total points, each playing 32 minutes.

Summers: 10 points/4 assists
Crosswhite: 23 points/4 boards/5 assists
Watson: 2 points/6 boards
Pugh: 4 points/9 boards (2-6 shooting)
Locklier: 20 points/4 boards (9-10 shooting/2-2 at the line)

Weisse:14 points

We're a much better team than Maryland from top to bottom, but still, very solid road win.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote