View Single Post
Old 01-01-2015, 11:50 AM   #9
Izulde
Head Coach

Oddly enough, it'd been 11 hours since Patrick Lauber had scored. I hadn't noticed - he's become too valuable in our setup.

We need 5 points over the last 3 games to clinch the title. Two wins and a loss is a lot better than two wins and a tie.

Good Train
DLC Chris Black

$3.14k profit

1st vs Austrey Rangers (8th)
G: Ash Malhotra
D: James Kay/Phil Lindley/Anthony Newton/Brian Close
M: Andy Catley/Joe Ward
AM: Patrick Lauber/Tom Schofield/Billy Akrigg
ST: Brian Haule

36 - Team is playing nervy, and it's showing. 0-1

42 - Ward to Lauber, followed by a cross to Haule's head, and things are knotted up. 1-1

I tell the team they're doing well and to keep going out there, and we'll win. That's kinda not true, but hopefully that calms the players down.

51 - Brilliant ball for Lauber by Haule, and I'm thinking the score is on, but he suddenly stops and centers to Schofield. Left foot shot completely fakes out the keeper! 2-1

55 - Rowbotham in uninterested Ward.

88 - Close up to MC to replace exhausted Catley; Bertram at DR.

We get the win, but I find it awfully shady that the refs allowed them the last shot in both halves and only blew the whistle after the opponents got their free shot.

Polesworth draws for the second straight game, while Rostance Edwards picks up a 1-0 win. The draw by Polesworth and our win means we've clinched promotion!!!!!

A Level 10 team is sniffing around Phil Lindley, and came to the game to watch him specifically. He posted a great game, too, with a 7.1. Not good for keeping our 33 year old captain.

But for now, let's luxuriate in this:

I rule!

1st @Polesworth (3rd)
G: Ash Malhotra
D: James Kay/Anthony Newton/Tom Rowbotham/Mark Bertram
M: Joe Ward/Brian Close/Phil Lindley
AM: Tom Schofield
ST: Brian Haule/Patrick Lauber

Poles worth still has a promotion place to play for the next couple games. Meanwhile, we can clinch the championship with a win or with a Rostance Edwards tie or loss.

26 - Gorgeous pass by Lauber for Haule, but our top striker has to hold up on the right side of the pitch. Instead, he commences a circle of passes to Close and Ward, the last sending it to the box where Lauber sinks it! 1-0

35 - Haule's hurt, so Wigglesworth comes in.

I stress again at the half the importance of winning, and it gets me a couple negatives. Oops.

46 - Schofield chips a header to Wigglesworth, who doesn't look a newbie at all in delivering a perfect ball to Lauber for the second goal. 2-0

57 - Absolutely jaw-dropping defense by Close and Newton to recover blown coverage and prevent a goal that even a 1 Finishing player should have made.

69 - Now Close is hurt, so Schofield drops back to MC and Loughlin comes in at AMC.

8.8 for Patrick Lauber and 7.4 for James Kay. Wonderful performance by the squad in what most hyped as the biggest game of the season. Rostance Edwards tied to make this result immaterial, but it's sill awesome to clinch a championship.

Phil Lindley continues to attract attention from higher level teams looking for a strong, naturally fit veteran leader who has shown he can successfully captain a team.

We'll be without Brian Close and Brian Haule for the season finale. Not that it matters. We were going to play a young lineup anyway.

Time to start thinking about next year. I don't know if I should be trying to bring these guys back on amateur contracts, or wait to see if the board decides to make us semi-pro.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote