Thread: Severe Weather
View Single Post
Old 01-24-2014, 07:52 AM   #446
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
It never ceases to amaze me how people don't adjust their driving habits to account for the conditions. I understand some people have to go to work, but use a little common sense when you are on the roads in those conditions.

It's a city covered with high freeways and 200' overpasses with few, if any, salt or treatment trucks. It's just not financially responsible to prepare a city that gets this one day every 3 years in a way that you would up north. We're built for heat, flash floods, and hurricane mitigation since those are either more common or more serious.

It's also a driving city with no real mass transit except for busing so the roads are constantly clogged every morning and this just makes it worse. Plus, this is the type of thing that just isn't common here and it's not as if we didn't have this problem in Kansas or Indy where they were more used to conditions like this. There's always those folks who think they're better at driving than they are. How many times have you heard "I'm fine! It's all the crazy people around me" - yeah, you know they are out there so why aren't you adjusting for them with your own driving habits? And that frequently comes from some of the most aggressive drivers I know.

My answer is to just go in around 9 or 10, once it's light, once things have started melting, and once the initial rush hour traffic has dwindled. Until then, it's work at home time.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

Last edited by sterlingice : 01-24-2014 at 07:54 AM.
sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote