View Single Post
Old 05-08-2019, 04:40 PM   #1223
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii View Post
There are tons of reasonable solutions that can improve things and they come up repeatedly any time a thread about gun violence becomes active, but the truth of the matter is that enough people have been convinced that its worth a few mass shootings and countless murders and suicides to block even the idea of background checks at gun shows or private sales of guns, or additional efforts to prevent the mentally ill from obtaining guns. None of those things impede on the right to bear arms of any individual that has one today, and while they may not stop the specific shooting we are discussing right now, they would reduce the overall amount of gun violence in the nation. But any sort of actual discussion just gets ignored in favor of the far more extreme arguments.

You and I will never change the other's views on guns. I think that's a given.
I do recognize that we are both some where centric of the extreme, yet still not a lot of middle ground.

I'm ok with tougher regulations on acquisition, to a point. Admittedly a point far right of your preferred point...but so far left of the NRA that Im labeled a traitor.

But I want to try and ask a different question.

One point that does open my eyes is the disparity between our gun violence and the rest of the civilized world. Its startling in numbers no doubt.

But one question that I have, that Ive never heard anyone even discuss, is 'What changed?'
I mean 2A isnt new. Access to guns isnt new. If anything their fanaticism has increased their entry cost. Yet I'm early 40s. In my childhood shooting at a school was unheard of. Now its not.
Why?
The guns were here then, but we weren't having mass shootings and school shootings.

Why now?

Again Im not saying gun access doesnt play a role, I concede that point, but it isnt the sole cause either. So any thoughts on the why the change?
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote